Incremental backup

Hello,

my configuration as follows: G4/350, G4/450DP (client), and PM 8600 (client). Mac OS 9.2.2, 640 MB RAM.

A LaCie/Quantum DLT1 tape backup device connected via Adaptec 29160 to the G4/350.

Retrospect D1-4.3C, ADK 2.0.104.

Now my question: is it correct, that Retrospect is busy with locating around half an hour 'til the incremental backup starts?

Thanks

Thomas

I had the same problem with a brand new DLT-1. After the first backup, it sat and searched forever, and never would start the backup. I seemed to suffer from the 'mounted volume' syndrome discussed at length in other areas of this forum. The first computer to back up was an OS X Server volume that I mounted locally on the desktop. This doesn't seem to work anymore with Retrospect 4.3C (but worked fine with an older version of 4.3...).

I upgraded to 5.0, put everything on TCP/IP (no locally mounted remote volumes for backup) and everything works now. I'm running the host on a G4/500 with Retrospect 5.0 Server, and a mix of G-3, G-4 and PC computers, and it's working fine.

Hi Paul,

thanks for your response.

I'm also running TCP/IP. And I have only the Workgroup-Edition. I had the same problems like you (locating for ever). After setting my Adaptec 29160 to asynchronous mode, I have to wait around (only, haha) half an hour. Restore works very fine. So if the only thing is to update to Server-Edition, I can't have a SCSI-problem as the told me (and you) at Dantz (I changed everything like you, even the tape-drive). I think it's a bug in the Workgroup-Edition. So I will wait 'til the german version is available and then update to the Server-Edition.

Thank you

Thomas

The way this works is that Retrospect tells the tape drive the place on the tape to look, then the drive tries to find that spot. In the rare case that it is not able to find that spot, it either returns an error or (as you've seen) "locates" seemingly forever.

This is usually caused either by trouble with your media, your drive, or some other problem along your Mac's SCSI chain. Does this happen when you try to restore from any other tape? If so, it's probably not a bad tape. To troubleshoot, first clean the heads on the drive. If you've never done it before, get a cleaning tape and clean them a few times. Then try again.

If this doesn't help, try isolating the drive on your SCSI chain. Take any other devices off the chain and try the restore with the drive hooked directly to the computer. If this doesn't work, use a different cable to connect the drive. If this doesn't do it, try using a different terminator. Finally, if you're still having problems, take the drive to another Macintosh.

Hi Amy,

thanks for your answer, but: I don't think that it's a SCSI problem.

Because:

1) All five tapes I have don't work (also after cleaning)

2) The device is the only one in the chain.

3) I changed the drive.

4) I changed the terminator

5) I changed the cable (and I revearsed it)

6) I tried the drive at a Mac 8600 with SCSI built-in

7) I moved it to another place (away from monitor and Mac)

and NOTHING helps!!!

The only thing I didn't change is the application.

By the way: I have had identically problems with an ADR drive.

I called Adaptec because of my problems, and they told me to set the card to the slowest (asynchronous) mode to see wether there is a SCSI problem. And in that mode Retrospect finds after around half an hour the spot.

PaulW describes in his post "Locating...takes ...forever (06/20)" the same problems. You gave him the same advices, but he has the same problems after changing all too. And Paul updates to server version, and: EVERYTHING WORKS FINE. So I think the bug is in the application (Workgroup-Edition) and not in the SCSI chain.

So I will update from Workgroup to Server too, as soon as the german version is available (more costs around $ 150,-). I will tell you wether it works or not in a few weeks.

Greetings from Germany

Thomas

Archived