-519 error

rmuncy

Hello everyone,

I have an on-going problem with the infamous 519 error. Previous to the charge for support policy,

I have spoken to several differernt tech. people at Dantz. They all tried to help bt the problem seems to come

and go at will, until recently. It is now 4 out 5 backup attempts will fail. Only fails on the large folders with

excess of 50,000 files, such as student or staff home folders. The student and staff folders are different servers

and they both fail. I have tried to best of ability to perform all suggestions on the knowledge base, which

includes replacing everything, even a complete server. I have tried backing up through a crossover cable and

still get failures.

Almost forgot, running 2000 server , with a dedicated backup machine with two Ecrix VXA tape drives.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Russ Muncy

Well since I got zero response, to my post, I had to try something else. (Getting desperate).

Downloaded an eval of a competing product, and tried a backup of the same file servers, with no changes

to the hardware configuration and it worked with NO errors.

Still feel that there is an issue with VERY large numbers of small file/folders, because at the beginning of a

school year, when the number of files is lower(the are all deleted at the end of each school year), the backups are

error free. I understand that more files increases the stress which could correspond to more failures if there

was a weak component in the system. In previous versions of Retrospect, I believe up to 5.2, there was a lock up problem

with very large numbers of files. Tech. support's solution at that time was to split the backup into small sets.

That was done and worked at the time. Now I'm at the point I can't split any more without several hundred

point and clicks, because there is no group select in the "Source volumes for backup".

If I need to PAY for an answer, I will. .....Just like to know there is an answer first....

We had a similar problem with the backups of our mail server, which has hundreds of thousands of tiny 1k files (or 4k, I forget the cluster size).

Anyway, our solution was to use the command-line version of WinZIP and run batch files to compress all of those files into a single .ZIP file, which has worked pretty well.

It's really the file headers that slow down the I/O process of the backup, and Retrospect gets pretty agitated when communication slows down, and gacks with the ubiquitous -519 error.

That's a solution that might work for you; it reduces your thousands of file headers down to a more manageable "one."