Can't install Retrospect 5.1 on OS X 10.3.9, can't update 5.0, either

Retrospect 5.0 on Mac OS X 10.3.9 (installed from SystemWorks 2.0 CD) works, but doesn't quit at end of backup. I forget the exact message.

I've learned by reading posts here and elsewhere, that I need to update the driver, but which doesn't seem to work.

I uninstalled and have tried to install Retrospect 5.1 from a disk that came with my OWC Mercury Elite drive some time ago. The installer won't activate the "Accept" button, to continue the installation.

I tried copying the driver update plug-in that comes with the 5.1, into the 5.0 installation, but it prevents the 5.0 installation from running (no administrator permission message). I tried changing permissions, but no help.

This is making me nuts. I know that I'm not the only one who's had these problems, but I don't see a clear solution.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hi, everyone.

I answered my own question. There's always an opportunity to feel dumber than you want to. Or, perhaps there's an opportunity to make users feel dumber than they are.

In my case, it was a combination of both.

The 5.1 installer requires you to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the license agreement, to activate the Accept button. I've installed lots of products whose installers may put me through hoops, but not exactly this one.

So, the short answer to why the installer wouldn't activate the Accept button was simply "scroll to the bottom." It's a good idea to avoid misunderstandings with a product that takes on the responsibility of backing up all your data.

But, I'd like to suggest that the installation process makes this necessity clear, because it's not a good idea to create frustration for users unnecessarily.

I was already pretty close to jumping to another product, for having gone through the obsoleting of my earlier installation and not being able to make the updater work. The inactive Accept button was telling me to activate my thoughts of moving elsewhere. Companies depend on happy customers. Just a suggestion.

Archived