Exact disk copy with links

I'm trying to duplicate a small portable external firewire drive (8GB) to a new 20GB external. What I'm hoping for is an exact duplicate that would retain my links within applications. I use Freehand, sometimes with dozens of linked images in the files, and if I simply copy the drive I'll need to relink all the images every time I open an old file. This will "drive" me crazy at best and slow me down considerably at worst. I'm hoping to keep the old drive as a partial backup to the new one (I also have tape backups).

I'm on a Mac G4 with 9.2.2, Retrospect 4.3

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Can you be more specific about what you mean by "links"? If the program you are using 'links' itself to other files based on a specific location, it might make sense that the links are broken when all the files are moved to a new location. Are these 'links' specific to Freehand or are you referring to Macintosh 'aliases'?

The "links" are linked images contained in Freehand files (or PageMaker, etc.), not system related. I think I've found a cure in the Macromedia forum, just a setting in preferences that will Freehand to search my new drive for the linked files before it askes me to find them.

Thanks for the help, though.

Archived