retrospect forgets info

Why does this great backup program forget the names of the storage tapes in a Loader unit (once the appl. is quit)?

I would think the program would store these in it's pref's until next time the appl. is launched........then confirm the tape names before making a decision. It does check the tape names, but it always has to perform a very lengthy process of "scanning the media" before performing the backup each time.

I am now forced to keep the appl. running al the time, due to this issue.............kind of makes the self laucher a unless feature.

Thanx,

br

We are looking at ways to have Retrospect "remember" the names of tapes on relaunch, as we do on the Windows side. It's a great request and we hope to have this in place in a future release.

However, Retrospect should still run properly during an automated execution. Retrospect will scan the drive looking for the correct tape. What problems are you having? Which loader are you using?

Amy,

We are using the Qualstar 4400 w/ Sony AIT drive.

1) The problem I explained is the majority of the issue. Due to curcumstances, the Retro appl. needs to be started (auto-lauch is ok) each time the script is triggered. The scanning of over 40 tapes takes about 45+ minutes, and eats into the alotted backup time we have available (3am~8am). Therefore it has made the system almost useless as an unattended process.

>Any other thoughts while we await for a new software release?

>Also, who will inform us if and when a new release becomes available?

2) The other issue is;

When the Retro appl. needs a new erased tape, it seems to grab the last erased tape in the loader (#33......39 whatever), instead of those I have put in order (ie: 6,7......9 whatever).

>Why is this?

>Why can't it just go forward 1 slot and find the erased tape which I have prearranged for it to use?

I have confirmed that the tapes I arranged are no differant than the ones that it seems to choose........they are all virgin (unused before now).

I patiently await your responce,

Barry Ross

Sound Engineer

Universal Studio's Post Prod. Sound Dept.

BlueWave Audio

With over 40 tapes to scan, I would recommend a bigger backup window. You might want to consider starting at 2am, so you have that extra hour for scanning 42 tapes. The only other possibility at this point is to leave Retrospect running so that it only scans tapes when the magazine is changed out.

Regarding erased tapes, Retrospect needs access to the loader in Random, not Sequential mode. Generally, in looking for blank tapes, Retrospect is starting with the last tape, not the first. This is the way the program is designed to run. Typically, during a device scan, the last tape in the loader is the last tape scanned, and the first tape used for backup.

With Retrospect 5.0, you can pre-name tapes if there are specific tapes you would like Retrospect to use. The program will first look for a pre-named tape. If one is not available, Retrospect will then go on to use a blank tape.

Amy,

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunatly I cannot extend the backup period available due to our heavy server use at all other hours.

As for keeping the appl. running; I will attempt this until it is no longer possble. Anything you guys can do to save the tape names in pref's (or wherever) would be very helpful. I don't think my boss wants to hear that his newly purchasd software needs to be upgraded to v5 so quickly.

Thank you,

Barry Ross

Universal Studio's

• 3 weeks later...

Archived