Win2K and ver 5.6.132

PCUSHING

I am having a problem doing a full-backup of my computer. I have an IBM Thinkpad T23 with 64Meg of memory running Windows 2000 + service pack 1. I have a USB-connected HP 8200E CD-Writer. I have been trying to get the Retrospect Express backup working for about a week now. When I do a complete full backup, it takes about 1 1/2 hours, needs 5 CD-Rs (compression is on) and when done writes the catalog, does a close, etc.. However, I cannot verify the backup set or restore a file from the backup set. Looking in the log, I see a "error -100 (device rejected command)". Today I found the error code in the Knowledge base, and did "enable NT SCSI Passthrough to bypass ASPI" per the instructions, even though I am not using a SCSI device. After doing that, and after running an entirely new backup with new CD-Rs and a new backup set, I can now "update an existing" or "re-create" a deleted catalog from the backup set (it asks for 1-Backup Set A and 5-Backup Set A) but when I attempt to verify the backup set, I still get the "error -100 (device rejected command)", but apparently after it verifies several files (which is better than before I enabled the NT Passthrough). What am I missing?

• 3 months later...

I think there is is a flaw in the Retrospect supported drives list, but I cannot get any response from Dantz on this issue!

I have the same situation occur, but the environment is different:

I am WinNT SP6, on an IBM Intellistation E pro, using a IBM supplied CD-RW drive with Retrospect Desktop 5.6.127.

When I look deeper the drive is actually a, LG CED-8120B (IDE) which is 'supported' on the list.

Here is my scenario:

Backup using CD-R for less than 100MB, the compare works just fine.

Increase that to 350MB and it will fail (this rules out disc swap issues.)

This happens irregardless of the absence or presence of other CD-R software including packert writing drivers.

It also occurs regardless of which CD-R media (speed/manufacturer) that I use.

If ANYONE knows anything about how to solve this matter I would be very interested in any information you can share.

Thanks,

Bill

Archived