Re-setting time on Mac causes re-backup of everything?

Okay, I know this subject has probably already been addressed a million times and I think I remember reading something about this, but I can't get my search results narrow enough to find the answer.

Our Mac we are using as a server consistently has a slow clock. It never jives with the rest of the computers in our pre-press dept, so a few days ago I set it up to automatically get its time from a time server. Now Retrospect is re-backing up everything instead of just the regular incremental backup of just the files that have changed. I think this may be caused by me re-setting the computer's clock. Is this correct?

I also updated the firmware on our tape drive, but last time I updated the firmware, Retrospect did not re-backup everything.

Thanks for any info.

Quote:

Our Mac we are using as a server consistently has a slow clock. It never jives with the rest of the computers in our pre-press dept, so a few days ago I set it up to automatically get its time from a time server. Now Retrospect is re-backing up everything instead of just the regular incremental backup of just the files that have changed. I think this may be caused by me re-setting the computer's clock. Is this correct?

Probably, but you haven't given us enough information (version of Mac? OS version? Retrospect version?) to even speculate. Depending on what the details are, it might be fixed for the future if you are tied to an always-available NTP server. The usual way is to have one reliable server on your LAN get its updates from an NTP server, and then run NTP on that server, have all machines on the LAN look to that local NTP server.

You probably are also having Kerberos issues, too, with that Mac if you use Kerberos because the timestamps will be off too much. I'd suggest that you get the hardware fixed.

Quote:

I also updated the firmware on our tape drive, but last time I updated the firmware, Retrospect did not re-backup everything.

And why should it? Retrospect looks at the modification date/time on files. How would updating the tape drive firmware change the date/time? I also don't think that a "re-backup" will occur whenever you clean the front of the monitor, because that's unrelated to modification date/time on files.

Russ

Archived