New drive... eternal configuration?

In response to my other post regarding DVD+R's being able to be verified only about 50% of the time and the problem apparently being the internal superdrive, I bought a new Memorex DVD16+/-DLRWID2 (this is how Retrospect recognizes it). I plugged it in, launched retrospect, and it asked me to configure it. It has been crunching away for about 10 hours now. The activity monitor shows a steady rate of between 50 and 70 percent CPU usage by Retrospect (and also that it is not responding); the drive itself doesn't appear to be doing anything. It said that it could take 2 to 200 minutes to configure, which is a bit less than the 10 hours it has been going on... it is sitting there saying "Checking writing method..."

How long should I wait before crashing out of it? Should I attempt a reboot? Any tips to get the thing configured?

I'm using Retrospect 6.1.126 on Mac OSX 10.4.7, using driver update 6.1.7.101.

- What type of media are you using?

The configuration process will take the longest with re-writable (RW) formats. If you're using DVD+R or DVD-R, it won't take as long. After 10 hours, it's not likely that it will complete successfully.

- Can you get to the operations log (Command+L)?

- What brand of media are you using?

EMCInsignia doesn't guarantee that all drives can be configured by this method; they only agree to support the program's use with devices that do successfully complete the process. It's generally a good idea to check the database of supported devices when making purchasing decisions for use with Retrspect.

Quote:

- What type of media are you using?

The configuration process will take the longest with re-writable (RW) formats. If you're using DVD+R or DVD-R, it won't take as long. After 10 hours, it's not likely that it will complete successfully.

- Can you get to the operations log (Command+L)?

- What brand of media are you using?

EMCInsignia doesn't guarantee that all drives can be configured by this method; they only agree to support the program's use with devices that do successfully complete the process. It's generally a good idea to check the
when making purchasing decisions for use with Retrspect.

The disk that was in there was an Imation 16x DVD-R. The log says

Quote:

Running Custom Configuration tests on $[31]Memorex DVD16+/-DL4RWlD2$[32] at 9/5/2006 10:45 PM

9/5/2006 10:45:45 PM: Setup test: Successful

9/5/2006 10:45:45 PM: Default setup test: Successful

9/5/2006 10:45:45 PM: Drive type test: Successful

9/5/2006 10:45:45 PM: Drive initialization test: Successful

9/5/2006 10:46:11 PM: Disc information test: Successful

Testing DVD-R media type

9/5/2006 10:46:11 PM: Write method 1 tests start

and that is where it hangs. (This is starting over again last night as you can see from the timestamp). I've also tried Verbatim DVD+R to no avail.

Archived