Odd AIT and Xserve behaviour...

Hi,

Just a general plea for any ideas on an odd problem I have on a client's Xserve G5.

Backing up to a Sony AIT-2 Turbo. Writing to drive seems fine - backups seem to be ok - take about the correct amount of time to complete - but any READ operation in Retrospect errors (i.e. verification or checking a backup set's validity). Does the same on both Firewire and USB2. Have had the drive swapped by Sony - still the same problem.

Running all latest software - Server 10.4.7, Retrospect 6.1.126, Latest driver update. Anyone have any ideas?

The Retrospect log says:

Trouble reading: “1-Friday” (0), error 203 (hardware failure).

Additional error information for device "Sony AIT2 Turbo DC" [0:1],

Sense > 70 00 04 00 00 00 00 14 00 00 00 00 08 03 00 00 7e 00

(SONY |SDX-560V |0100)

Many thanks

Don't really have a clue here; can't be cables if you have swapped drives (firewire, USB).

some thoughts:

Perhaps you've got bad media? (using the same tape?)

If you take the written tape out and then put it back in, is Retrospect able to read the header with the member/storage set name on it? (Configure > Devices). that would indicate that something is, in fact, being written on the tape.

have you looked at the AIT-2 Turbo documentation to see if you can make some sense of the reported sense codes? Docs are here:

sony support docs

Have you tried running the sony tape utility to test the drive w/o Retrospect in the loop?

the utility is at the same URL as above for the docs.

And, of course, I'll ask this question: Is your model on the supported list for Macintosh?

Retrospect supported device search

From what I can tell, the SDX-560V is supported on Windows but untested on Macintosh.

SDX-560V

I'm clueless. Hope this helps, though.

Russ

Archived