Multiple optical media types

Fellow Retrospect users,

I'm using R 6.1.126 on a macbook.

The superdrive seem to be working fine, but when I configure a new media type, it seem to no longer regonize the previous one. E.g. I first did a backup set spanning 7 DVD+R discs. Then I did a new backup set to DVD+RW. Now I'm unable to read or write the previous DVD+R set. (and also some older CD-R sets from my previous iBook).

Is there a way to configure the drive to support all the optical media types at the same time, without re-configuring it every time I switch to different dics? If I understand right, reconfiguring means one wasted disc every time (at least for -R/+R), and also wastes my time! Of course it would propably be easier to just use one media type, but I'd still like to be able to restore from my older sets.

Quote:

when I configure a new media type, it seem to no longer regonize the previous one

Correct.

>Is there a way to configure the drive to support all the optical media types at the same

>time, without re-configuring it every time I switch to different dics?

Yes. Configure all the media types you expect to use during the same custom configuration session.

After you successfully complete a media configuration, read the dialog box that is displayed; you'll see that you are prompted to insert another, different media type for additional use.

Once the configuration dialog has been closed, you can't add to the .rdi file.

Dave

OK, thank you! I guess I'll get a stack of every media types the drive supports - CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW - and configure all of them once... The RW discs can be reused, right? Can I even use the configure-test R discs in backup sets, or are they simply wasted?

Archived