Normal backups (after recycles) still backing *everything* up.

Ok, I've got an Xserve G4 that I've configured to perform recycle backups to Week A (working with a "week a" and a "week b" rotation) with a scheduler for every other Monday, then another scheduler for every other week to perform normal backups to the same set. I've set this formula up for a ridiculous amount of servers/workstations, and it's always worked very well (we use the same on several of our servers). The problem I'm having with this particular server is that when it comes time to perform *any* Normal backups to a backup set just after Recycling that backup set, Retro backs up the entire data set again (which obviously causes "volume full" errors).

I've trashed *everything* regarding Retro, including the StarupItems and preferences, doing an exhaustive search to find anything that may be related to Retrospect, then re-installing and completely re-configuring. Same prob. It almost sounds like the backup date of each file in the filesystem isn't being recorded... Any ideas?

Quote:

I've set this formula up for a ridiculous amount of servers/workstations, and it's always worked very well

- What Type of Backup Set are you using?

> when it comes time to perform *any* Normal backups to a backup set just after

>Recycling that backup set, Retro backs up the entire data set again (which obviously

>causes "volume full" errors).

I'm not sure what's obvious; if you're using File Backup Sets, you'd still be able to do another round if your Destination volume was twice the size (plus some) of your source.

But that's not the issue...

Don't waste time worrying about the Retrospect install. The issue is more likely something to do with either the Source files or the Destination. But you've provided too little information about what you are doing and what you are seeing for readers to be of much help.

Here's what I'd suggest:

- Define a small folder as a Subvolume, and use that as a Source to backup to either Week A or Week B

- Make a change to that folder (add a file, modify a file, etc) and run another backup

- Confirm that only the changed files are backed up

- Recycle the Backup Set

- Configure a backup again, but do not Execute

- Click on "Preview" and see what files are Marked for copying, and which files are Matched as already present on the Backup Set.

- Report your results.