What's keeping script from running?

I have a script that's supposed to run a normal backup to a FireWire drive at 6 a.m. every weekday.

I have my Mac OS 10.3.9 system prefs set to start the computer at 5:45 a.m. every weekday, with a sleep delay of 30 minutes and a display sleep delay of 10 minutes.

When I wake the display and computer at about 8 a.m. each day, the backup script runs. The log shows no 6 a.m. run.

I did a one-time test script, setting the start time for after the sleep delay intervals and it ran just fine.

Anybody have ideas as to why this is happening?

Thanks.

Paul

Perhaps some of the Retrospect preference files are corrupted, and the RetroRun process can't figure out when it is supposed to start the backup. While we don't have your exact configuration, and don't do the sleep/startup stuff you do on our server (which is up 24/7), we see this issue of Retrospect failing to start its daily scheduled scripted backup about once every month or two. For us, here's what fixes it (not original wih me, but provided by Natew in another forum thread):

- Quit retrospect

- manually delete /Library/Preferences/Retrospect/retrorunfile

- manually delete /Library/Preferences/Retrospect/LaunchRetroHlper

- manually delete /Library/StartupItems/RetroRun folder

- Launch retrospect, quit retrospect, and it will re-create the deleted files.

I don't have a clue what causes this, don't think that EMC/Insignia/Dantz does either. Has persisted across Retrospect 6.x updates. We just live with it. Bug report has been filed, it's a known issue.

Quote:

I did a one-time test script, setting the start time for after the sleep delay intervals and it ran just fine.

This is the part of your post that I don't understand, though, which seems to indicate that you may have a different problem. Are you saying that you created another backup script, identical in every way to the script that doesn't start except that this second script is scheduled to start at a later time? If so, that's very odd and I don't have a clue.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Russ

Sounds promising. I've trashed those files, started and closed Retrospect and will see what happens tomorrow.

As for my "test," is set up a script that to back up just a single directory (the real script backs up several) and scheduled it to run at 10 a.m. This was about 8:40 a.m., so I knew the computer would be sleeping when time came for the script to run. It ran, indicating the sleep mode is not what was interferring with my real script.

Will report tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.

Paul

Quote:

It ran, indicating the sleep mode is not what was interfering with my real script.

No it doesn't. It only indicates that "sleep mode" didn't interfere with your test script.

Given the information in your post, the most likely answer to your question "What's keeping script from running?" is that your Energy Saver preferences are colliding with Retrospect scheduling process.

The easiest test to see if the problem is with retrorun (a buggy process, as suggested above) or with the Energy Saver settings would be to configure the machine to never sleep, and see if it works or not.

Retrospect can't wake a sleeping Mac, although Apple does have an API for developers who want to provide that functionality.

Well, rhwalker's recommendations didn't do the trick (as he indicated in his last paragraph he thought might be the case), but thanks for the effort.

CallMeDave is impressively systematic--and correct. I'll try his recommendation Monday.

Paul

Archived