I have Catalog Sets that contain missing members from a previous Retrospect, most likely 5.x. I am currently running 6.x on a Macintosh and would like to know if there is any way to "import" them into 6.x without rebuilding entire set disk by disk.

Thanks for the info,

Mike

Is this related to the question you asked 3 days ago? If so, please see my response re dealing with the missing members.

If your question is, can you access an existing catalog written by an earlier version, the answer is yes. Just go to Configure> Backup Sets> More...> Open and navigate to the desired backup set catalog. (Of course, due to the changes in the catalog structure that were introduced under 6.0, the earlier catalogs are read-only and can't be further written to by v6.0 or 6.1.)

We happily access even ancient v4.0 catalogs using Retrospect 6.1.

twickland, you scared me for a moment when you implied that v4.0 was the limit, because I thought I had done careful regression testing with each version upgrade of Retrospect. But I checked again moments ago, and I can read catalog files much older than v4.0 - using Retrospect 6.1 on our Xserve G5, I can still read catalog files that were made at the beginning of 1993 (Retrospect 2.x?) on our now-retired ASIP server that, at the time, was a 68k Quadra 650. And the tapes still seem readable too. We've been through quite a few versions of Retrospect through the years. If that capability to read old backups is ever lost, it would be a "bad thing." Russ

Actually, this is a new situation. Thanks for the earlier response a few days ago, that worked perfectly for the situation I encountered then, it was a catalog wrote through 6.x. Now I have the exact same situation for a 5.x, or earlier, catalog set.

Thanks for both respones.

Mike

Quote:

Just go to Configure> Backup Sets> More...> Open and navigate to the desired backup set catalog. (Of course, due to the changes in the catalog structure that were introduced under 6.0, the earlier catalogs are read-only and can't be further written to by v6.0 or 6.1.)

But be careful here; once you access a pre-6.x catalog in a 6.x version of Retrospect, you won't be able to use it again on an older system.

As always, Retrospect catalogs are valuable data files, and should be backed up and/or archived in case you ever need a clean copy.

Quote:

you scared me for a moment when you implied that v4.0 was the limit

That wasn't my intention. I was only intending to comment on our success with earlier catalogs. In our case, v4.0 catalogs (from 1993) are the earliest that we have needed to return to.

Archived