Retrospect doesn't backup to DVD-RAM

Hello,

Is here someone experienced in backing up an Apple Powerbook G4 to DVD-RAM thru the built-in “superdrive”? Somehow I can’t make it work although according to available Retrospect information it should be ok. I assume the error is the user but can’t find out what I’m doing wrong.

Software:

Used software is current versions (MacOS 10.4.5, Retrospect 6.1.126 with Driver Update 6.1.4.103).

Burner:

The backup device is a Panasonic/Matshita DVD-R UJ-825 with firmware DAM5. It works fine with CD or DVD media.

The Retrospect device compatibility database says “qualified” and “Macintosh: This drive is supported with ... DVD-RAM media ...”

Blanks:

I tried blanks from three quality brands. A UDF formatted DVD-RAM blank can be mounted in the Finder, while apparently unformatted blanks (disk util shows only the burner, not the volume) can not. (This is normal behaviour, Apple does not allow its software to write to DVD-RAM.)

Retrospect recognizes the UDF formatted blank as *write protected* (a fresh blank, how come?) and is unable to do anything with it. With the apparently unformatted blanks Retrospect does not find removable media at all.

I assume Retrospect must be told to override the write protection (if it's real), or it must be enabled to erase the disks — but how do I do that?

Grateful for help,

Sam

Hey Sam,

I believe that you need to go through the one time process of configuring your DVD Drive.

In Retro, go to the Configure Tab and click on Devices. Select your drive and insert the media that you plan to use. [i'm not sure of this next step since I don't have a DVD in my drive at the monent but I think it's...] Then choose Format from the Devices Menu. Whatever the next step is it will be prety clear. The process can take some time but when it's completed you should be good to go.

Quote:

Hey Sam,

I believe that you need to go through the one time process of configuring your DVD Drive.

In Retro, go to the Configure Tab and click on Devices. Select your drive and insert the media that you plan to use. [i'm not sure of this next step since I don't have a DVD in my drive at the monent but I think it's...] Then choose Format from the Devices Menu. Whatever the next step is it will be prety clear. The process can take some time but when it's completed you should be good to go.

ReHey!

Man, Clinton, you are quick!

I had forgot to mention I had tried that, too, but from the dialogs I thought that configuring applies only to CDs and DVDs, not DVD-RAMs. Resulting error messages showed that Retrospect tried to treat the DVD-RAM as CD- or DVD-something. And the manual mentions configuring only with CDs and DVDs.

As the manual says that removable media (like DVD-RAM) are to be formatted with the software/driver that came with the device, I tend to think now that the information in the device compatibility database is not complete:

The statement saying the UJ-825 (Apple version) is fully supported omits the crucial information that Retrospect lacks the capacity to prepare the DVD-RAM discs it could use. But I may be wrong, the fact that a new blank came write protected could point to any stupidity on my side, something overlooked or so.

Have a nice weekend!

Sam

Archived