Assertion check at "elem.c-928"

Retrospect fails about half the time with the following message:

Internal consistency check failed:

Assertion check at "elem.c-928"

It happens during both normal backup and recycle backup.

I'm using current versions Retrospect:

Retrospect version 6.1.126

Retrospect Driver Update, version 6.1.3.101

....on a PowerPC G5, writing to a LaCIE USB drive. OS X version is 10.4.5.

I've perused the postings and answers, but haven't found anything that looks helpful. The main purpose of this posting is to place it in the record. Hopefully Dantz "support" will find it and do something about it.

Any recommendations for alternatives to Retrospect?

> on a PowerPC G5, writing to a LaCIE USB drive.

- Is this a USB hard drive?

- Are you using a File Backup Set? Or are you using a Removable Backup Set?

> The main purpose of this posting is to place it in the record

Noted. Your post will live forever on the internet.

> Hopefully Dantz "support" will find it and do something about it

While this Forum is not EMCInsignia Technical Support, some of the support engineers do read and reply to posts. But no matter if it's a fellow Retrospect user or an EMC employee, it's the poster's responsibility to include as much information as possible. No software engineer can make changes to a program's code based on just a simple "it crashes" report; information such as log entries or steps to reproduce would be required.

Since most people do _not_ have this problem, it's not likely a software defect. And since it _is_ happening on your specific hardware/software configuration, your best course of action would be to open a support incident with EMCInsignia. They can provide you with a de-bug version of the program that will generate a verbose error log when the assert error happens, that can be used to help identify the cause.

> Any recommendations for alternatives to Retrospect?

Take a look at Bru; you'll hate it.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I've got this too. I just updated from 6.0 to try and kill off inconsistency check errors.

In the log file, there's a previous line with a file/folder not fould -43 error. I will try to remove this file from the source if it makes a difference.

Archived