backing up firewire drive problem

I have retrospect 4.3 and am trying to backup two external firewire drives 60megs and 40megs, it starts to backup and than during backup freezes the entire system.

I am running a G-4 with system 9.0.3

Can someone help?

thanks

The backup freezes reading from either Firewire drive? How are they hooked up to your computer? Are they both plugged directly into their own Firewire port or are they attached to a Firewire hub? If they are attached to a hub, try plugging one directly into the computer and try the backup again.

Try running software update to make sure you have the most current firewire drivers for your computer.

What device are you using for backup? In other words, where are you sending all this data? From one hard drive to another, or do you have a different backup device?

I also have 2 firewire drives attached to my Mac. I haven't had this problem, but I did have an issue in-which only one of the drives would mount. Both drives were chained (on the same FW port). The solution was to place one on each port, then they could both mount.

This may not help you, but you might want to try placing each FW drive on separate ports on your Mac. I hope it helps.

Jim

Archived