Hardware VS Software Compression

When I try to back up my 15.6 GB of data to a Travan 10/20 GB tape it only puts 9.6 GB of data on the tape before it is used up. This won't due, since tapes are about $33 each. How do I go about using 4 tapes in rotation for a daily backup with compression that will give me the 20GB advertised? When I check the script and backup sets it says it is using hardware compression, or catalog compression (not sure what that is anyway) but not software compression. How can I make the script to do what I want as listed above?

Chris

Welcome to the world of advertizing. The 20GB number is pretty optimistic. YMMV. It all depends upon how compressible your files are. In my experience, I get about 11.5GB on an NS20 tape. I would not expect Retrospect's software compression to be significantly better or worse than any hardware compression provided by the drive, so that isn't your answer. The 9.6GB figure is actually the same as 10GB. It just depends upon who's doing the counting. The hardware manufacturers define a GB as 1,000,000,000, but software typically defines it as 1024 * 1024 * 1024. I would suggest using Retrospect's selectors to specify that certain files do not need to be backed up regularly with the others.

Archived