newbie needs help

hello everyone - I am a new retrospect user - os x - and could sure use some help creating a script that will accomplish this -

M - F daily backup of database files from Filemaker.

one tape per week - doing recycle each day and rotating just two tapes - one every other week.

I want to instruct a client to change the tape every monday morning

Is this the "right" way to do this - recycle each day?

Do I need to create backup sets for each day?

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks

To come up with an appropriate backup strategy, you will need to decide how long you _might_ need to retain previous copies of the files you're backing up. If you do a Recycle backup each day and swap tapes each week, you will have only two copies of each file: last Friday's backup on the tape not currently in use, and yesterday's backup on the current tape. If you made a mistake yesterday and want to retrieve an earlier version of a file, you might have to go back earlier than you'd like, and if you made a mistake more than a week ago, you no longer have a copy of an earlier "good" version.

I'd recommend performing a normal backup for your regular backups, and either a scheduled recycle backup or else a manual recycle at intervals when you want to reuse your tapes.

Also think about how you will cope when you find that one of your tapes becomes unreadable (tapes have a way of doing this occasionally). You may want to cycle through three tape backup sets instead of just two.

Each set of tapes must constitute a separate backup set, but you can use a given backup set for multiple days of the week.

Here's an example of a script schedule that will rotate through three backup sets and perform a recycle backup each Friday, using six Schedulers:

1. Normal backup to Set A every 3 weeks on MTWT beginning 1/23/06.

2. Recycle backup to Set B every 3 weeks on F beginning 1/27/06.

3. Normal backup to Set B every 3 weeks on MTWT beginning 1/30/06.

4. Recycle backup to Set C every 3 weeks on F beginning 2/3/06.

5. Normal backup to Set C every 3 weeks on MTWT beginning 2/6/06.

6. Recycle backup to Set A every 3 weeks on F beginning 2/10/06.