Seagate Scorpion 240 autoloader/tape library

I have a Seagate Scorpion 240 Autoloader (listed as a supported device in retro 5.6)

I am using Retrospect server 5.6 with the 3.0 plugin on MS Windows 2000 Server service pack 2

The drive is on SCSI channel 3 id 6

Retrospect is not recognizing the drive as an autoloader/library

the recognized name of the drive is Seagate DAT DDS-DC (1.09)

The drive does function if I manually load a tape from the magazine and does propperly recognize the name of the tape and if the tape is blank.

This drive has a personality mode that will emulate the Python as well but I haven't tried that as I would rather make it work in the scorpion mode.

Is there something I am doing wrong or have I just missed a step?

In the status window I do not get a library or Scan function.

Thanks for the input.......

Check the Configure > Devices > Environment tab and make sure that the device is loading a driver and the loader is loading a driver.

Try setting the SCSI ID's as follows: The tape mechanism's SCSI address should be set to 0,1,2, or 3, and the loader's address should be three higher, at 3,4,5, or 6, respectively.

Make sure the SCSI card supports multiple LUNS. Many cards come with multiple LUN support, but it may not be enabled. Check your documentation or with your vendor on how to enable multiple LUN support.

Disable the Windows Class Driver for the device under the Windows Device Manager.

Install ASPIINST.EXE from the Retrospect Program folder.

Make sure the loader is in Random mode, not Sequential.

Ok, Multiple LUNs was not enabled for this adapter (Adaptec AIC-7899)

I also moved the Device to SCSI ID 2 (The Loader on this Tape Drive does not appear to have a way to independantly change the id) The device manager does show the Tape at Lun 0 and the changer at Lun 1

With the device enabled in the device manager it passes all of Seagates diagnostics.

I did run the ASPIINT and now it does say Devices visible using ASPI in the environment view

I have tested Retrospect with both of the devices enabled and disabled in the device manager and it makes not difference at the moment I still only see a single drive.

I have also verified that the sequential Autoloader function is not enabled.

in the environment view the drive recognizes as...

ID: 1:2, VENDOR SEAGATE, PRODUCT DAT 06241-XXX, VERSION 8110, DRIVER Seagate DAT DDS-DC (1.09)

I still see no mention of libraries or autoloaders in any of the views.

It looks like the loader you have is an integrated loader, so seeing only 1 SCSI ID is accurate.

This drive requires a minimum firmware version of 8160 in order to work with Retrospect. According to your email, your drive is currently using 8110. You should check with Seagate in order to obtain firmware upgrades.

This drive has a feature that is called "Auto-load", where tapes are always loaded into the drive mech inside the loader. It is so that the drive is always occupied in the loader. This can conflict with Retrospect if enabled. To disable do the following:'

Hold the "SELECT" for 5 seconds and you will get a menu. Hit "SELECT" a few times till the "AUTO LOAD" is selected. From there you can hit "ENTER" and use "SELECT" to select the "YES" or "NO" then finally hit "ENTER"

This information is available in the Dantz Hardware Search Engine at:

www.dantz.com/hardware

Updating the firmware to 8240 does seem to have solved the problem.

I will run more tests on it in the morning, but at least it is recognizing the library now and scanning and changing tapes propperly.

Thanks for the help

Archived