Error 206 w/external FireWire HD

We are using a LaCie 500 GB d2 Big Disk Extreme FireWire drive as a removable disk backup set. This drive has been in service for three months. Beginning a couple of weeks ago, when the backup set reached about 300 GB in size, we began to get a few 206 Media Failure errors during Compare. These became interspersed with bad backup set header errors, and quickly increased in number. At first I thought we may have reached a bad spot on the drive, but when I tried to verify the backup set, I got 206 errors almost immediately.

I then erased the drive using Disk Utility and did a regular, high-level, non-journaled format. Everything seemed fine for a couple of days, but then the 206- and bad backup set header errors started in again.

According to LaCie tech support, if there were an I/O or bad sector problem with the drive, this should have appeared in the console log and not just in Retrospect, and I should also have seen a system error pop-up window. The LaCie tech also said that if I did a low-level format of the drive (Option> Zero all data), this should report out any problems with bad sectors, etc. He said if I was successful, this would eliminate the disk interface or the disk medium as a source of the problem. I'm now in the middle of reformatting the drive, thus far without apparent problems.

Does what LaCie says make sense? If so, that would seem to imply that the error would then have to be a software problem (Retrospect?).

Incidentally, we also back up to DDS tapes, which have recently been working just fine. Whenever we have gotten a 206 error with a tape drive in the past, it has always meant that the drive has needed repairs.

Mac G4 450 dual processor, OS 10.3.9, Retrospect 6.0.204