Retro Client 6.0.110 keeps turning itself off

I've been having a problem with Retrospect Client 6.0.110 in Tiger. Occassionally, I'll open the client app and find that it has turned off because the pitond daemon has died. I took a look at the retroclient.log file the last time it happened and found the following:

1116545396: connAccept: close(socket) failed with error 9

1116545396: ServicePurge: service not found

1116545396: Assertion failure at pitond/object.c-477

1116545396: LogFlush: program exit(-1) called, flushing log file to disk

This is on an 867 MHz 12" PowerBook and I suspect that it has something to do with the reconnection to my wireless network when I wake up the PowerBook.

Has anyone else seen this, especially with a laptop running Tiger?

I am experiencing the same issue and would be interested to hear what the resolution is. Our Tiger client machines (iMac G5s) resarts with the Retrospect client always off.

I read through the post regarding Tiger compatibility ( http://forums.dantz.com/ubbthreads/printthread.php?Cat=0&Board=Announcements&main=55277&type=thread ) and it indicates that Tiger disables the RetroRun launch utility on restart.. does this mean that in Tiger we must manually start the client after each restart??

Hopefully I'm misunderstanding it.

Quote:

I read through the post regarding Tiger compatibility ... and it indicates that Tiger disables the RetroRun launch utility on restart

The statement is referring to _prior_ versions:

"Prior versions of the Retrospect for Mac OS X Client use permissions that are no longer allowed with Mac OS X Tiger, so Tiger disables the Retrospect Client on restart."

Perhaps it could have been more accurately worded ("...so Tiger disables prior versions of the Retrospect Client on restart"). But the newer release should start the pitond process as expected across restarts.

The most common cause for the Retrospect OS X Client not running after restarts is that the Retrospect Client application bundle was moved by the user. It needs to remain in in its default installed location to work. If you need to have it in another location, you must edit the shell script in /Library/StartupItems/RetroClilent/

I rarely restart my PB (it has been booted for nearly 5 straight days), so I know that's not my particular issue. All evidence so far, however circumstantial, still points to the client dying upon wake from sleep. As I said in my original post, I also suspect that the delay in re-establishing an Airport connection has a bearing on the issue; I wouldn't expect to see computers with Ethernet connections to their backup servers exhibit this behavior.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Quote:

As I said in my original post

Which explains why my comment was in reply to the subsequent post from another.

>I suspect that it has something to do with the reconnection to my

>wireless network when I wake up the PowerBook.

Gut Feelings are a Good Thing to follow when troubleshooting.

- Does pitond dies each time you wake your Powerbook?

- Is your wireless network difficult for your machine to connect to?

Since I've upgraded my Pismo to Tiger w/Retro Client 6.1.110, my retroclient.log does not show any failures of the pitond process. This even though until today, every time I woke my Powerbook it wouldn't be connected to the Airport network.

I solved that by visiting my Network preference pane, where I changed from my existing (pre-Tiger update) custom network location to DHCP, where I was presented with a cool new Tiger list of Airport networks that could be reordered for preference. That list was/is unavailable from within my old saved location setting.

Although my Powerbook's inability to find its last Airport network didn't cause pitond to crash, if your tiger install is an update with a custom location you might consider creating a new location and seeing if that makes any difference.

Yeah, yeah; I know you wanted suggestions from someone else. Oh well.

I'm having the same problem, but do not have the skills to understand "pitond". I installed the client on my PowerBook and updated it from the main Retrospect machine, but as I reboot I watch it show up on the screen and then turn off. It makes unattended backups pretty much impossible.

Since my Tiger installation it always has to be visibly running as well (showing up in the dock).

Quote:

I'm having the same problem, but do not have the skills to understand "pitond"

When you say "the same problem" do you mean to indicate that you'll "open the client app and find that it has turned off because the pitond daemon has died"? This is how Alan reported his issue.

When you say:

>as I reboot I watch it show up on the screen and then turn off

what exactly are you watching show up on the screen?

pitond is a unix "daemon" (which is what the ending "d" stands for). It is a background process that is designed to run all the time. OS X has many, many daemons doing many, many different things. Some launch and then die, others run all the time.

You can view the status of any OS X process from the Acivity Monitor application that comes with OS X.

The Retrospect Client application is just a configuration utility for pitond; changes you make in this application are passed on to either pitond or its confuration file ("retroclient.state").

The pitond binary file, the written code that needs to be launched for pitond to run, actually lives inside the Retrospect Client application bundle. When you boot your Mac, a Startup Items script directs the computer to launch pitond from its cozy resting place. That's why moving the Retrospect Client application to another place will keep it from launching on bootup.

But if you're seeing it start correctly and then crash (with an entry written to retroclient.log as Alan did) then there might just be something messed up about the software install.

As with any suspected problem with a software install, one good thing to try is to un-install it, and then re-install it, from original sources.

Use the Retrospect OS X Client to "Uninstall" the software; then re-install, then restart. You'll have to re-add the client to your Retrospect network machine.

Dave

Archived