Incremental backup list?

When doing an incremental backup, how to I see the list of files to be backed up? The browser just shows me a list of the whole drive with all files/folders checked off for backup, but I don't see the actual list of new/modified files to be backed up.

My concern here is that this incremental backup seems to be backing up an awful lot of data, even though very little of my system was changed. For example, I did a backup, then copied a file on my system, then ran another incremental backup, and was surprised to see that it had targetted about 190 files to be backed up! This does not seem reasonable to me, yet I cannot see the list of these 190 files it said were candidates for the inc. backup!

When looking at the browser window during an Immediate Backup > Preview, you will see:

Check Marks:

Any file that has a check mark meets the criteria of the files Retrospect is looking at for potential backup.

Black Diamonds:

Files with black diamonds next to their names are already in the backup set. These files will not get backed up again.

If you see files with check marks and black diamonds, it means that Retrospect recognizes that you want the file backed up, but an exact copy already exists in the actual backup set. Retrospect will not recopy the file.

To determine which files will actually get backed up, you will need to look for files (not folders) that do not contain black diamonds. Or, you can actually run the backup and then look at the contents of your session. In Express, you can browse a backup session through Configure > Backup Sets. Go the Backup Sets drop down menu and choose View Contents. Under Desktop Edition or higher, go to Reports > Contents.

Amy..

thanks for the reply. Upon further investigation, it appears that the files slated for incremental backup are actually 'highlighted' in the browser view. In fact, there is a button at the top of this view that is called 'save highlights' - although I am not quite sure what its function is yet.. guess I will have to break down and read the manual :-)

On the subject of icons, do you know what the small icon at the end of some of the file names is? It 'looks' like a pencil with a strike through mark.

The icon you are referring to indicates that the file in question is "Read Only"

Save Highlights allows you to save file and folder selections as a selector that you can use to reselect files for future Retrospect operations on the same volume, including backups and restores.

Hope this helps!

Archived