Retrospect Backup for Windows can't restore folders original modified time stamps

Kebrank

I haven't found the way to restore the original folders modified time stamps. I have tried different type of restores but even with the "Restore an entire Volume" option, the folders modified dates are automatically updated with the restore date one. I researched this issue and it seems the Mac version has a secret option to restore the original modified dates for folders but didn't find anything for the Windows version. Any idea?

Thanks,

When you setup the Script that you used, did you have "Back Up System State" checked in the Options for Windows?  

Also, when you create the Restore job, click the Options button then at the bottom of the window click More Choices. Under the Execution section for Files make sure that box is unchecked.  Checking that box will set the file date to the current date and it sounds as if that's happening.

Good luck.

• 3 months later...

Hi there,

I don't use any scripts and all the options are as you suggested but found a way around this issue. Running the restore a second time it won't restore anything since all the data has been restored already but it will change the dates to the original ones. This is another bug that Retrospect doesn't care about.

Thanks,

• 3 months later...

Two updates after this issue was initially reported and it still hasn't been fixed. Keep in mind this issue wasn't happening several versions ago and it's very easy to reproduce. You have to wonder about how much Retrospect cares about their customers... Just letting you know what you are paying for.

• 5 months later...

This is not an easy fix. Windows tends to touch folder modify timestamps when anything inside is touched.

Best solution I have found: occasionally run a good tool to reset the timestamps to the newest-change in nested folders underneath. NirSoft has a nice free one that's very fast on Windows. FolderTimeUpdate