Suddenly Error 1116 Decides to Happen

kidziti

So I have four shares on a NAS that I have loaded with files to back up. Restrospect 16.5.1.109 (Windows Desktop version) is on my Desktop PC. The NAS is generally used as a file server, so it is the main source of my backups with the destination is set to two different hard drives - each on alternate nights. The NAS itself is configured as X-Raid across four brand new 1 TB Western Digital Reds (ordered direct from WD.) SMART+ shows they are all in perfect health with zero errors and only 132 hours on each drive.

So I am doing my first initial backup. It's been running fine until at 30 hours, twelve minutes and twenty-nine seconds, Retrospect decided it could no longer read the files - in the middle of a folder no less. I have searched all over the site to see what could have caused this but am at a loss. Not being an IT professional it is quite possible I am missing something in my setup. But why would Retrospect be fine backing up half the share and then suddenly decide it could not? I'd think if it was a share-specific or user-level problem, the failure would be more binary - either it works or it doesn't.) The log is essentially in the screenshot below. The specific errored files listed in that screenshot are fully accessible and readable via Windows explorer, and Retrospect is set to run as the logged-in user. Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks. 

2019-10-31.png

11 hours ago, kidziti said:

I have searched all over the site to see what could have caused this but am at a loss.

"error -1116 (can't access network volume)".

Since it happened part-way through, it looks like the network connection dropped rather than a permissions thing. Check both PC and NAS for energy-saver-type settings, logs for restarts/sleep events, switches/hubs for reboots, etc. What else was on the network, and busy, during the backup period?

Looks like a Netgear NAS, so 1GE unless it's a pretty old model, but we're only seeing 100Mb/s across the network -- something just doesn't feel right. Perhaps try a direct ethernet connection between the PC and NAS, if only to get the initial backup completed cleanly.

I think it may have had to do with share level access control on my NAS. A variable is that I also just upgraded to Windows 10 from 7, and I think that magnified the share-level access issue. Interestingly, SLA worked for me and I never thought to change it, but it is a few years past end-of-life (which I didnt know) and the OS change may have brought its obsolesence to critical mass. So I just changed the security mode to user level access and from what I've read in this and the Netgear forums, that could be the issue. It'll be a few days before I can verify that resolves the issue, but I'll report back here with the results.

Thanks, Nigel - your response got me thinking what could be between the physical network and the NAS permissions settings and that got me on this hopefully productive approach to the problem.

While user-level access works like a charm with respect to Windows access via file explorer, it seems to have only confused Retrospect even more. I was hoping it would help but I get permission access errors (1017) on all four NAS shares now. Interestingly, I only get them on a scheduled run of the script. If I do a manual run, Retrospect completes with no errors - but then says it successfully backed up zero folders and files. Some day I'll figure out what is going wrong with my setup.