Is there any risk to restoring the entire Windows boot/active partition?

x509

I screwed up the BCD Store (used in multi-booting Windows OSes), and it could be that the easiest way to fix that BCD Store is to restore my C volume to 12-16, including system state.  My OS is Windows 10 Pro 64, installed on a GPT/UEFI volume.

There are apparently other ways to fix the BCD Store, which involve booting from a Windows 10 install disk and then doing some kind of advanced repair.  So is it wise to take the "easy way out" and just do the C volume restore?

x509

• 9 months later...

A very late response :)

What did you end up doing?

Assuming you have everything properly defined for your bare metal DRD restores, then yes it "ought" to be ok.

If you followed my Admin Guide for DRD, you would have saved a copy of the BCD Store separately... but then what's the fun in that? 😄

What did I end up doing?  Funny you should ask.

After a few go-arounds with restoring files and folders, I gave up and did a new Windows install, which means lots of Windows configuration, and then installing a boatload of programs, which of course also need configuration.  Fortunately, I keep my data files in different partitions than Windows and programs, so all that was OK.

I also wrote a strong letter to a Retrospect C-level manager, at the encouragement of people in this forum.  I got back a response which said, paraphrasing:

You did that restore wrong. You should have used a Recovery Media restore.

Too late.

Right now, as we speak, I'm trying to restore a laptop, and this time I am using Recovery Media.  I dutifully followed the directions in the manual, and got a USB Recovery drive.  But, but, but (and with Retrospect, there is often a but.)  On thjs laptop, the Recovery Media windows are too tall to be displayed completely on the laptop's screen.  ( On two different desktops, and a different laptop, there is no such issue.) This thread describes the issue: 

And this thread on a different forum explores a solution.  I haven't finished the process of isolating the driver in question, listed in message #6.  I will possibly get to that work today.  https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/142045-need-nvidia-driver-laptop-needs-recovery-media-restore-how.html

I'll keep everyone posted.