e-mail stopped working with 15.0.0 (190)

Hi,

I upgraded a Retrospect 14.6.1 (101) machine to Retrospect 15.0.0 (190) and after the upgrade the machine can no longer e-mail reports. It can't even send a test e-mail  - it says 'Trouble communicating (-102)'. E-mail preferences are configured to use an un-authenticated SMTP host on our campus. I can telnet from the upgraded machine to port 25 on the SMTP server, and I have a second Retrospect machine still running 14.6.1 which continues to send e-mail reports through the smtp server. It looks like something changed in the way e-mail is handled in 15.0.0. 

Has anyone else seen this, or can give me a clue about getting e-mail working again? 

Thanks,

Ron

Update: in system.log on the upgraded machine I can see "Retrospect[81482]: PreferencesEmailController::sendTestEmail exception: E-mail notification failed: error -1027 (connection refused)"

Ron Haines,

You might take a look at this Knowledge Base article.  I doubt it's going to help too much, since the "Services" section says settings haven't changed from Retrospect Mac 14 to Retrospect Mac 15.  Step 2 under "Troubleshooting" (I don't think you need to do Step 1 under Retrospect Mac 15) is probably giving you what you are seeing in system.log.  You could consult your mail server documentation, or try Googling "connection refused".  I'd also try contacting Retrospect Tech Support, since you obviously must have just recently upgraded.

Thanks David,

I think contacting Tech Support is probably my next step. I just noticed this in the release notes for v15: 

• IMPROVEDEmail Notifications: Support for unauthenticated accounts

Given my situation, 'Improved' isn't quite the word I'd use. 

Solved - the knowledgebase article mentioned by David had a clue.  Adding :25 after the smtp host name solved the problem. So it looks like you need to be explicit about the port number. I'd still classify this as a bug. If you don't specify a port I think it should try the default smtp port first (which it appears not to be doing). 

3 hours ago, Ron Haines said:

Solved - the knowledgebase article mentioned by David had a clue.  Adding :25 after the smtp host name solved the problem. So it looks like you need to be explicit about the port number. I'd still classify this as a bug. If you don't specify a port I think it should try the default smtp port first (which it appears not to be doing). 

Ron Haines,

Here's why and how to file a Support Case.  As the second paragraph explains, the revered CEO of Retrospect Inc. stated about 1.5 years ago that these forums are no longer a means of reporting bugs to anyone except other Retrospect administrators.