Disaster Recovery Disk Method

scstock

I have a basic question regarding creating a Disaster Recovery Disk in order to facilitate a Dissimilar Hardware Restore but I can't find the answer anywhere.

Am I right in thinking that you need to create the Disaster Recovery Disk on the client PC, rather than the Server? If so that would mean installing the full version of Retrospect, and Windows ADK - not just the Client software - on each client machine, if only temporarily.

You only need to create the Disaster Recovery Disk on the Backup Server. If you have a valid Disaster Recovery license on the Backup Server the functionality will be added to the Disaster Recovery Disk. When you boot the Client from the Disaster Recovery Disk the Dissimilar Hardware Restore will be available.

• Thanks 1

Well, I'm a couple of stages on, but not quite there yet!

Retrospect support had suggested uninstalling and re-installing to try and resolve why I couldn't create a DRD using Retrospect Server. I was wary of this as I don't want to spend ages re-creating all my Scripts etc. so I temporarily installed Retrospect Server And Windows ADK on another PC - using this I was able to create a Disaster Recovery USB Drive.

I successfully booted the target PC (actually a Mac Mini running Bootcamp) with it and ran a Restore as a client from the Disaster Recovery Wizard. However, once completed, when I go Back to attempts the Adjust Drivers to new hardware step it reports that no valid OS can be found. The backup set is from a client running Vista.

This led me to wonder initially if I had missed the point in how the DRD is created, hence my question above, but it seems I have done it the right way. So I now I have to figure out why it can't  find the Vista OS in the restored system.

2 hours ago, scstock said:

I successfully booted the target PC (actually a Mac Mini running Bootcamp) with it and ran a Restore as a client from the Disaster Recovery Wizard. However, once completed, when I go Back to attempts the Adjust Drivers to new hardware step it reports that no valid OS can be found. The backup set is from a client running Vista.

Are you running a version of Bootcamp on the Mac Mini that is compatible with Windows Vista? From what I have read Apple started to drop support for Windows Vista with version 3.2 and dropped it completely by version 4.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/13/2018 at 4:26 PM, Scillonian said:

Are you running a version of Bootcamp on the Mac Mini that is compatible with Windows Vista? From what I have read Apple started to drop support for Windows Vista with version 3.2 and dropped it completely by version 4.

And here's one place (second paragraph and also here lower down in the same Wikipedia article) Scillonian could have read it.