OSX, beige G3, quantumDLT scsi tape = errors

hi, i am new to the forums, so please forgive any protocol transgressions!

we have a small network of two clients and a dedicated backup machine connected via a linksys router/4 port switch combo. we recently upgraded to OSX (currently 10.3.5) i'm having problems getting retro to work. we are using a Beige G3 as the backup server (no server software) and a Quantum DLT4000 scsi tape drive attached to the G3's built-in scsi port (not an adapter card).

everything was fine when the whole network was on OS9. as soon as we upgraded the clients to OSX, retrospect desktop 5.0, 5.1 and 6.0 have been returning following error messages, and compromising the backup: error 205 (lost acess to storage media), catalog out of sync with backup set, error 519 (can't see client on network)- (i think my clients were falling asleep)... these typically surface after a couple of gigabytes have transferred. has anyone else had experience with beige G3 computer as a backup machine? might this be a SCSI issue? any thoughts greatly appreciated.

regards, frank

The beige G3 is the only machine with built-in SCSI that apple allowed early versions of OS X to run on. I believe that with OS X 10.3, machines without built-in USB (such as the Beige G3) are no longer supported.

The SCSI in these machines is the narrow, 50-pin type, and I don't think Apple did much to provide complete support on those early versions of OS X.

As for your other question about host adapters for this machine, a modern supported card (ie; ATTO) _might_ drive your tape drive with a pin-adapter, although I also know that Dantz has always said that adapters are a no-no for proper Retrospect use.

DLT4000s are great old devices; built like a tank, although with limited size. But it's possible that yours is not going to gracefully make the transition to OS X. Perhaps keeping this machine on OS 9 (which can backup OS X clients) is something to consider.

Dave

hi Dave, thanks for your reply,

Will the Beige G3 on OS9 work with the olde tank, and back up OSX clients? Is OS9 not so picky about SCSI issues? we seemed to have had some problems (1024 client not visable, and 519 network communication failed... ) back before upgrading it to OSX, though now that i think about it, the clients may just have been falling asleep.

(BTW, why doesn't Retro keep its clients awake when accessing across the network? it seems i have to set Sleep to Never, or the client eventually drops off the network - or is that an issue for a different thread?)

It sounds like a hardware issue, and an equipment upgrade is near.

thanks again, frank

>Will the Beige G3 on OS9 work with the olde tank, and back up OSX clients?

Yes.

>Is OS9 not so picky about SCSI issues?

Not any more picky then the the original Mac OS ever was, but that's a lot less picky then OS X is.

But, OS 9 is less forgiving of memory intensive operations, and Retrospect sometimes stresses that part of the system when accessing the large number of files found on OS X machines. Be sure your backup machine is stuffed with RAM.

>why doesn't Retro keep its clients awake when accessing across the network?

Clients will stay awake as long as the actual backup is progressing, but when the operation changes over to the Verify pass the client machines might think that they've been idle all that time and snooze. I'm afraid that you have to set them to never sleep.

Dave

Quote:

I believe that with OS X 10.3, machines without built-in USB (such as the Beige G3) are no longer supported.

Although Apple says it's not possible to run Panther on pre-built-in-USB computers, a growing number of folks with Beige G3s and even older vintage models are doing just that. What makes this possible is XPostFacto.

I know: I run 10.3.5 on a 266-mhz Beige G3 (rev A). The Beige can run every Panther era program I use on my G4. I did add a USB/FireWire card, but that was not needed for OS 10.3.5, only for my FireWire external harddrive, USB printer and other peripherals. I moved an external DVD drive over to the Beige from the G4 the other day to test the ability of Retrospect 6.0.193 to restore files from a G4 backup set to a G3. Worked like a charm. XPostFacto also enabled my Beige G3 to do something else Apple said was impossible: boot off an external FireWire hard drive (on which I also have 10.3.5 installed).

Respectfully, Norm

well, thanks to all. i too have tried this fabled XPostFacto, and it works as advertised. it is however, still in beta and various issues still arise. i think dave's point is valid and at some point i will retire the DLT and stuff a big hard drive in the Beige G3 and back up to that. ata hard drives are cheap and a lot less fussy than this scsi stuff.

best, frank

Archived