Backing up Photos / iPhoto Backup

I've managed to set up backup scripts that function well. However--and this was the case with the previous backup program I used as well--a Normal Backup ALWAYS recopies my photo files (mostly jpeg files) regardless of whether they have changed. Can this behavior be corrected?

In addition--and this is a separate issue--I can't backup my iPhoto folder with out corrupting the catalog. Any suggestions?

Quote:

a Normal Backup ALWAYS recopies my photo files (mostly jpeg files) regardless of whether they have changed

Since a Normal Backup only backs up files that Retrospect sees as changed, tracking down exactly how the program is seeing the file(s) as changed might help.

One way to do this:

- Setup an Immediate Backup of the directory containing the files; use a Backup Set that already contains the files

- Click on "Preview" and look for files that are Marked to be copied (checkmarked)

- Select any of these files and choose "Get Info..." from the File menu (or press Command+I)

- Go to Reports->Contents and select the same Backup Set, and Browse a Sesson.

- Look for the exact same file and Get Info on this file

- Visually compare the attributes there; what do you see that's different?

Quote:

can't backup my iPhoto folder with out corrupting the catalog.

What exactly are you doing, and what exactly are you seeing?

Dave

Quote: What exactly are you doing, and what exactly are you seeing?

When I include the iPhoto folder in my backup script, I get hundreds of execution errors. the program then tells me the catalog is out of sync and suggests that I Repair/Update existing catalog file, which I do. But Normal backup won't run again because the program then says it has trouble copying to the backup set.

Quote: One way to do this:

- Setup an Immediate Backup of the directory containing the files; use a Backup Set that already contains the files

- Click on "Preview" and look for files that are Marked to be copied (checkmarked)

- Select any of these files and choose "Get Info..." from the File menu (or press Command+I)

- Go to Reports->Contents and select the same Backup Set, and Browse a Sesson.

- Look for the exact same file and Get Info on this file

- Visually compare the attributes there; what do you see that's different?

I have a backup script including photo files and a bakup set with the files. I click on Preview in the Automate window but can not get down to the level of seeing the files. How do I do this?

Sorry for the breach in etiquette.

The copying of photo files during a Normal Backup (regardless of whether they've changed or not) seems to have resolved itself.

I am, however, still having problems copying the iPhoto folder in the ~/Pictures/ directory, just like I did with the previous program I used (on both my current machine as well as on my previous computer). This is the operation causing the catalog corruption. I am using an automated EasyScript backup which I have set to copy to a server's hard drive (Mounted AppleShare Volume). This set has no problem baking up and restoring everything else except for the iPhoto folder. I do have some corrupt/degraded photo files in there; do you think those may be causing hundreds of execution errors?

Archived