Error 519 Problem is KILLING ME!

OK... I'm at my wits' end here.

I'm running Mac OS X Server 10.3.X (all the latest upgrades from Apple) and Retrospect 6 with all the latest upgrades from Dantz, including the client software. Retrospect is backing up 4 client Macintoshes to three big Firewire drives connected to our OS X Server (a G4/1.2GHz). Each client Mac is running OS 9.2.2.

Here's the problem:

One of the Macs repeatedly gets a 519 error (Network failure) in Retrospect. I've tried everything I can think of: Booting only with Mac extensions + Retrospect, changing ports in the switch, changing from gigabit to 100BaseT to 10BaseT, changing cables. Nothing works to solve the problem. In Retrospect, I've completely deleted the client and started over from the beginning. No luck. All the machines involved have gobs of RAM.

Typically, of the 11.5GB that need to be backed up, Retrospect get through the first 3 or 4 gigabytes, do a "Net Retry" and then die. The log always shows the same thing: A 519 error.

The client Mac checks out fine... no errors in Disk First Aid or Norton Disk Doctor. I've replaced Appleshare prefs. I've replaced all related networking software with stuff I KNOW works. Aside from this problem, the machine functions fine... it copies/retrieves files without any problems at all, and in fact, the user still can work on Photoshop files over the network. It's not dropping connections or packets. I've rebuilt the desktop, zapped PRAM, hoped/prayed, and sacrificed a goat. Nothing. Meanwhile, the other Macs back up perfectly with what appear to be identical setups.

Our cables are relatively short lengths of Cat6, we're using a single Asante 8-port gigabit switch, and each Mac has the identical NIC--Asante GigaNIX.

Any ideas? What am I missing here?

Archived