Off Site Plan

All,

I'm running Mac Single Server version 12.0.0 (213). How do you guys handle keeping an updated copy of your backups off site? I've got 3+TB backup set that I've copied to a large external for off site. I need to be able to leave that large external off site and continue to supplement with smaller externals. I've figured out how to use a single supplemental by adding it to the offsite media set and performing "copy media set". This is fine for me because I know how to plug in the external and run the scripts every day. Id like it more automated so that anyone can just pull out last night's disk and plug in today's without needing to do anything manually.

Also I've seen the Copy Backup setting "Copy most recent backups for each selected source". What/who determines "most recent"?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

We have  a system that includes two tape media sets and one disk media set. The disk media set remains on site for quick restores, and the two tape media sets are rotated on- and off-site. The largest user files are backed up only to tape, and all other files are backed up to both disk and tape. We use two Copy Backup scripts—one for each destination media set—that are configured to copy the most recent backups from the disk set to whatever tape is scheduled to be in the drive on the day that the copy script runs (we have only a standalone tape drive, not a tape library).

We perform our rotations and copying weekly, but there is no reason it couldn't be done more frequently, as needed.

"Copy most recent backups" means that, if the media set contains multiple backups for a given source in its backup listing, that option will only copy over the most recent point-in-time snapshot's worth of files. In practice, I don't think this option makes much difference, since Retrospect by default keeps only the most recent backup snapshot active and a Copy Backups script only copies active backups (the only way an earlier backup remains active is if you have retrieved its snapshot).

If a source could be backed up more than once between your copying events, and if you wanted to copy over all such backups, you would need to use a Copy Media Set script and not a Copy Backups script.

Thanks man, I think it's starting to make better sense now. I still don't like the verbiage "Copy most recent backups". Making it plural is confusing. Also a nice option on top of "Copy selected backups" would be to be able to copy x days or last x backups.

Anyway thanks. You gave me some good stuff to think about.