v10 on Win7 - Retrospect app won't launch during backup

stevencrider

Hey everyone,

I'm a long time Retrospect user and recently did a clean install of v10 on a clean build of Win7.  Previous experience ended with v7.x, so v10.x is a new experience for me.  I've run some searches but can't seem to find an answer to my question.  If there's a link someone can provide to explain the below, please feel free to provide.

I have a clean install of Retrospect Pro v10 on a clean build of Win7 that backs up itself and one other network client (also Win7).  In my prior experience with v7 and before, when the backup starts the Retrospect app launches and can be monitored for performance and such, exiting once complete (as per set preferences).  With v10 the backup runs but the Retrospect app doesn't launch.  Or, rather it does appear to launch because it's in the Task Manager, but I can't seem to pull it up in order to monitor the in-backup progress.  When I try to launch the Retrospect app I get an error message saying it's already running (as per Task Manager).  I see that I can launch the new (to me) Dashboard app but it doesn't appear to give the level of in-backup progress detail I'm used to from the Retrospect app itself.

I just want to understand:  is this the new paradigm for Retrospect?  That the app launches in the background to run the backup and the only way to view the progress is to use the Dashboard?

EDIT:  Just to be clear, I have a script that runs Mon/Wed/Fri to backup the Retrospect machine itself and the client.  Script is running fine.  Just need to understand the way v10 operates.

I'm not complaining.  Just want to understand.

Thanks in advance and sorry if this is easily explained somewhere.  Like I said, I've searched but couldn't find anything.

• Like 2

Were you running Retrospect 7.x on Windows XP?

From Windows Vista (or at least Windows 7) onwards the Windows security model changed. The behavior you are seeing from Retrospect is a result of these changes.

Basically because you did not launch Retrospect yourself, it being launched automatically by the Launcher Service, you are only allowed very limited interaction with Retrospect.

The only workaround is to launch Retrospect yourself and leave it open in the background so you can have full access to it when the script runs.