Jump to content

v12 Update Issue

Recommended Posts

I just updated to v12 mac server and v10 win client and can't get the server to recognize the client.   Prior to the update the client was being backed up regularly, except for network related errors which occurred for no apparent reason and were typically resolved by rebooting one or both machines.  This, and a long time to create a snapshot were the main reason I decided to become an early-adapter of v12, something I rarely do.


I installed the client by copying the public key file into the public key folder in the instal folder, copying the install folder to the client and running the setup/install.  I received a warning about the server not being able to see the client if the firewall was on etc and clicked Allow so the server could see the client.


On the server/console, when I select the machine in Sources and click Refresh the "Source unavailable or in use." error occurs.  If I dismiss that and click Locate button on the Sources toolbar and choose Multicast, the machine appears after 40 secs or so.  When I select it and click the Locate button on the Locate window I receive an "Enter password for this source" with an unenterable password field and below that in red it says "No public key found on client."


If, on the Locate window, I try to Locate Source Directly or Test Address, using either the wireless IP, hard-wired IP or machine name it can't find the machine.  But the machine is available in my Finder window on the sidebar under Shared, which is how I transferred the install file to it.


From the sources list, with the machine selected if I try the Update button I end up with "Source Unavailable or in use."


During this the client had the Retro control panel open. The status was "Ready for retrospect Login." After closing this window and retrying the above the same errors occurred.


I have restarted both machines but that did't help.


Any suggestions?

Ty Hallsted
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sounds like the client is "stuck". When a client is already known to the engine, it doesn't show up in the "locate" window, and won't allow you to "add it" again. (it's already there!)  so some of what you describe is sort-of normal.


I have seen a problem in the past when I tried to re-register an existing machine, and retro got confused, knowing about a client, but refusing to use it.


I would encourage un-installing the client, removing it from the sources, then re-installing and re-adding it. However, I'm not familiar with the mechanics of how the public keys work. (I don't use them) The un-install should be thorough. Make sure it's really gone. Re-boot the client after the un-install to make sure any stray processes die, too. You might even want to kill off the "retroclient state" file. I don't remember where it is on Windows, or what flavor un-install removes it, but removing it can ensure a "clean" un-install.


There is probably a KB article about this...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks.  I checked the kb and reread the docs.  I did not uninstall as suggested because I also have a new laptop that has never been running Retrospect and it has the same problem.  I didn't mention it in my original post because I didn't want to complicate things and figured that whatever worked for the older machine that was upgraded I could emulate with the new machine.


Going through the Add Source steps for that machine I still get the "No public key found" msg even though the file is in the proper location, at least as I understand it.  Screen shots attached.post-84834-0-15410400-1426947198_thumb.pngpost-84834-0-23741400-1426947267_thumb.png


I did see that one of the suggestions was to re-crete the public keys in preferences.  But that button is disabled (see screen shot)post-84834-0-67970300-1426946522_thumb.png.  Nor can I find a way to stop using private keys in the interface or the user guide.


Do you or anyone else have any pointers on either why this button is disabled and how to enable it or on how to stop using private keys?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

If you want to get down and dirty, and manage the individual files of an installation yourself, you can look at the uninstall scripts in the install package, but I recommend relying on just running the scripts. They often scatter files in */Library/*, in prefs, and the occasional hidden file. There is also the odd daemon that has to be killed/started in the right order, with the right mechanism.


I'd run the script(s).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...