Crash during LTO archive

We were running a large archive backup script during which our server crashed before it was finished. The data is about 10TB worth. I have gone back in to resume the script but the last member has not been added to storage set so I'm not sure what my next steps are.

The script is setup as WORM so I can't reuse the tape.

Is there a way to check what was added, verify the data and add the tape?

We back up to HP 6.25TB LTO tapes using the HP Ultrium 6250 single tape drive.

Any help would be most appreciated.

When you say the last member hasn't been added, do you mean that data was written to the member but it does not appear in the catalog? If that's the case, you should be able to run a Repair on the catalog, which will get the listing of that last member's data into the catalog. You should then be able to resume the archive script.

Before you resume the script, though, you need to go to the Options tab and under Archive: Matching, select the option to match source files to the media set. If you don't do this, Retrospect will append another copy of each the files previously archived to the media set.

Looks like that worked. Thanks. It did ask me at the end though to add a new tape though which was strange. The tape it hadn't added before was #9 and when I ran the repair it asked me to add tape#10 which doesn't exist yet. 

I do have 'Match to Storage set' on as a default. If I understand correctly this means it will never add a duplicate file - even if it was added on tape 1 - but will keep a record that that duplicate file is kept on tape 1 so when you retrieve it you will have to go back to that tape as well. Is that right?

It did ask me at the end though to add a new tape though which was strange. The tape it hadn't added before was #9 and when I ran the repair it asked me to add tape#10 which doesn't exist yet.

That is as it should be. When you are repairing (or rebuilding) the catalog, Retrospect has no way to know how many members are in the set—and where it should stop—until you tell it.

I do have 'Match to Storage set' on as a default. If I understand correctly this means it will never add a duplicate file - even if it was added on tape 1 - but will keep a record that that duplicate file is kept on tape 1 so when you retrieve it you will have to go back to that tape as well. Is that right?

Correct, provided the Don't add duplicates option is also selected.

In an Archiving script, the default is not to match files to those already existing in the media set. The reason for this is to speed up restoring the files, which will run more quickly when the files are all in sequential order on the tape. The downside, of course, is that keeping duplicate copies of files eats up a lot more tape. (For this reason, the default in the more-commonly-used Backup script is to enable matching and deduplication.)