11.5 can find, but can't write to disk sets that have option-8 in path

Don Lee

I just upgraded a client to 11.5, and none of the backups worked!

After a bit of debugging, I figured out that the problem is that the path to the catalog and the members all contain the bullet (option-8) in the path.

I moved the sets, updated the sets in the retro console, and it seems to work now.

This was an upgrade from 10.5 to 11.5. This was working fine in 10.5, so the bug was introduced at 11.x version.

• Like 1

Actually, this is not a bug.

They had removed the option-8 privacy feature in an earlier release (maybe 10.5) and then put it back when users (well at least me) complained about this.

If something has an option-8 in the file/folder name, it's supposed to be private from the backup (this is a per-client setting, but I think you can set it on the server to override the client settings...)

What I am seeing on my test instance of 11.5:

If I make a folder on my desktop called "•DID THIS BACK UP" and put some files in it...

If I use the wizard to back up "all files" of the entire volume of the engine computer, it *does* want to back up this folder in the preview:

post-169-0-88861400-1413393185_thumb.png

However, if I add my internal hard disk as a *client* computer, it will *not* back up this folder (which is how I'd expect it to work as a client):

post-169-0-06243700-1413393197_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

No, the problem is that the media set is on /Volumes/FireWire/•backups/whatever

Retro can find the set, but can't write to it. It has nothing to do with the client, or the backup. Retro can't write to the media set if the path to the media set contains a bullet.

These are disk sets.

• 2 weeks later...

The privacy setting should have nothing to do with the location of the *media sets* on the server. If it does, it's busted.

I would not be surprised if it's not the same code that checks for option-8 on the clients as well.   I would agree that there should be a preference setting (maybe there's a hidden one?) that would let you toggle this off/on...

• 1 month later...