Searching the Operations Log

We have found that after our Operations Log reaches a certain size, the search function no longer works (it always returns zero matches).

I'd appreciate hearing back from any of you about whether you are able to successfully search your Operations Log, and what the size of your log is, both in lines displayed in the console, as well as the total number of lines and MB.

Thanks for your help.

Using 11.5.1...

My log file is currently 16.1MB.

I had the preferences set to show me 10,000 lines.   With that setting I can search the 10,000 lines (out of 38661 lines)

I bumped this to 50,000 lines (so I could see the entire log -- which goes back to 12/10/13 -- and it does not search.

So, there's probably some sweet-spot between 10K and 50K where this works...

• Like 1

Maser, that was a great tip. I had always thought the issue was with the log size, not the number of lines displayed. Our log is 50MB and around 122,000 lines. I had been displaying 35,000 lines, and with a bit of experimentation, I found that 22,000 lines is searchable but 23,000 lines is not.

I'm not sure how long this has been the case, but I was happy to discover that at least in 11.5.1 one can change the number of log lines displayed in the console without having to quit the console or stop the engine to have the change take effect.

Maser, that was a great tip. I had always thought the issue was with the log size, not the number of lines displayed. Our log is 50MB and around 122,000 lines. I had been displaying 35,000 lines, and with a bit of experimentation, I found that 22,000 lines is searchable but 23,000 lines is not.

I'm not sure how long this has been the case, but I was happy to discover that at least in 11.5.1 one can change the number of log lines displayed in the console without having to quit the console or stop the engine to have the change take effect.

So it may be more about the size of the file than the number of lines.  I bumped my searching to 23,000 lines -- where you failed -- and I could still search.  30,000 failed, but 25,000 still worked, so my sweet spot is different than yours...