After all data is transfered, Restore still takes 30+ minutes to complete

I am using Retrospect 6 on a blue and white G4 running 10.2.4 to restore a Jaguar 10.2.8 backup to a G4/500.

After weeding out a bad .ds_store files that caused Retropsect to think the client volume was full when it tried to retore it, I was able to get Retrospect to transfer all the backup data to the client.

Or at least I thought I did. 35 minutes ago the Remaining counter hit 0Kb. But in the 35 minutes since, the display has shown that its still working on files, many of which have the extension .nib. The Remaining counter didn't change nor did the transfer rate, until it was finally finihsed and it went from 96Mb/min down to 50Mb/min.

The entire 4.2G transfer took only 45 minutes, if you believe the display.

Is this extra time at the end a verification? An optimization? A bug?

Upon resxtarting the client and Repairing privledges, Dreamweaver MX 2004 crashes on startup. Dreamweaver MX launches properly. So it looks like the resotre didn't work 100%.

Thoughts?

-Eric

PS: I used to use Retrospect in 2000-2001 and am sensing the program has gone backwards in terms of reliability since then.

Quote:

Is this extra time at the end a verification? An optimization? A bug?

None of the above.

Retrospect is setting the unix permissions for each file.

File permissions are stored in the Snapshot, not with each file. There are probably upside and downsides to this, but that's how it's been working since v.5

>I used to use Retrospect in 2000-2001 and am sensing the program has gone

>backwards in terms of reliability since then.

Were you using it under Mac OS X back then? No, I didn't think so.

Unix suport increased the complexity of the program (to support the more complex OS).

>Upon resxtarting the client and Repairing privledges, Dreamweaver MX 2004 crashes on startup. >Dreamweaver MX launches properly. So it looks like the resotre didn't work 100%.

You don't provide much information about what steps you took for the Restore, so it's impossible to suggest why you're having an issue with Dreamweaver.

Dave

Archived