Mixed version upgrade difficulties

I recently purchased an upgrade to Retrospect Workgroup 5.0. One of the first requirements for the upgrade is to change the protocol of AppleTalk clients to TCP/IP. I have version 4.0 of Retrospect and am using version 3.0 clients. Unfortunately the 3.0 clients do not support the TCP/IP protocol. I thought I could intall the 5.0 clients but they do not work with Retrospect version 4.0. They work with 4.1 or above but I cannot find any information on updating from 4.0 to 4.1. All the updates on the web site are for 4.1, 4.2 or 4.3 and the only upgrade option is to 5.0.

Any suggestions?

You will need to clean install 5.0 clients. Throw away the 3.0 Retrospect Client Control Panel, reboot and install a fresh copy of the 5.0 client.

Once all your clients are running the current version, you will need to 'forget' them from Configure > Clients and then log them in with Workgroup 5.0.

If I upgrade this way will the new clients be recognized as matching the old ones? I was hoping to continue using the same storage sets I have been using for years. If the new clients don't match won't I basically just be starting over?

When Retrospect does its backup, it scans your entire hard drive, making note of the name, size, type, creator, creation date & time, and modification date & time of every single file.

It then compares each file it scanned with the files already on your backup set. This is the "matching" phase. Retrospect will not copy any identical file, even if it is on a different volume (or a client) than the one it was originally backed up from.

In other words, Retrospect will know that the files on the "new" client match the files on the "old" client and not back them up again. Retrospect will find only the changed files.

Archived