Type 1 Errors on Mac

I recently upgraded to Retrospect Desktop 5.0. I back up to a Sony AIT tape drive. My Mac 500MHz G4 is running O/S 9.2.2. I've used prior versions of Retrospect with this drive and O/S with no problems. Now, when I attempt to either backup or restore data, I periodically and sporadically get ""The Application Retrospect has unexpectedly quit because an error of Type 1 occurred". This error keeps repeating each time I restart the program and attempt a backup until I create a totally new backup set and use a new (erased) tape. Then the application runs fine for a few days, until the problem recurs. I've reinstalled Retrospect, tried operating with only the Mac Base Extensions set, all to no avail. Also, even when this problem occurs, the rest of the Retrospect program "works", in that I'm able to scan the drives, view backup sets, etc. Finally, even when the problem is occurring, if I scan the drives, the program correctly identifies the AIT drive and the name of the tape in the drive.

Please help! Thanks!

Please provide complete details on your configuration:

Retrospect Version and build

Computer Model(s) and speed

Operating system

Device (from Retrospect's Configure > Devices > Device Status window)

Device firmware (in the version column of the Device Status window)

Device interface

Media brand and size

Other Devices

If an external device, please provide:

Adapter Card

Adapter Card firmware

Are there any error in the Retrospect operations log?

Thanks,

Amy

Dantz Tech Support

I'm also experiencing Type 1 applications crashes, but it only happens when I try to print. I had to back up and then reformat my hard drive to install OS X. When I restored my Classic-partitioned "drive," I found I've lost the ability to print from any application. HELP!

Thanks for responding. The info you requested is as follows:

Retrospect Desktop V5.0, with advanced driver kit

Computer is a 500MHz dual processor G4, with the dual processor turned off

for ProTools (dp extension removed)

Device: Sony SDX-300C

Version: 0404 (firmware)

Driver: Sony AIT CD(1.35)

media: sony SDX1-25C

Atto Express Protools v2.7, running an Atto card SCSI wide(16)

The oddest part is that it works once or twice, then crashes forever more,

until I throw away the backup set and use a new or erased tape and either

recreate the backup set or backup the hard disc all over again as if I'd

never had an existing backup set. However, that "fix" doesn't always work

the first time. Sometimes I have to create new backup sets a few times for

it to work again. I've also tried a number of new tapes (not erased tapes) and get the same crash, so the media itself is not the problem. I know this is difficult, as the problem is very erratic. Just so you're aware, I'm an electrical engineer, so I've eliminated most of

the basic potential issues (I think).

Thanks in advance for your help.

All of you having Type 1 Errors might want to check out the Retrospect Express forum for OS 9.x regarding this same error. People there have had the exact same problem and have tried all system configurations to try and solve the problem with no success. The only thing that seems to work is rebooting your Mac and running Retrospect 5.0 before running any other programs...

Type 1 errors are Mac OS memory-addressing errors. In order to troubleshoot them, all the variables need to be isolated. For those of you experiencing this issue, try booting off the Retrospect CD or your System CD. Run Retrospect and see if the problem can be reproduced.

I can get Retrospect to perform a backup if I restart my computer, and then create a new backup set. The program then runs properly for as long as the computer is on. The next time I restart, if I try to backup to the set I just created, the program quits with the error message. I then have to restart, create a new backup set, etc. Evidently many people are now having this problem, and many have posted on the Retrospect Express chat board.

• 2 weeks later...

Try running your backup booted from the System CD or the Retrospect CD - does the problem go away?

Retrospect 4.3 and Retrospect 5.0 have one major difference: Retrospect 5.0 is a Carbon application which allows it to run on OS 9 as well as OS X. Any Carbon application running on OS 9 requires the CarbonLib extension, in addition to base extensions, to launch and run. With previous versions of Retrospect, no extensions were needed to actually launch the program.

You may have programs on your machine that conflict with CarbonLib or Carbon based applications in general. It is important to update all your programs to ensure best case compatibility.

We currently do not have a list of known extension conflicts. Every system is different, and extensions that have a conflict on one system do not always have a conflict on another system.

Regarding the error Type 1, we have not seen a situation yet where the problem does not go away when booting from either the System CD or a Retrospect CD. This would indicate an extension conflict with an installed program that may not be designed to run while Carbon applications are in use.

Also, CarbonLib 1.6 and Authoring Support 1.19 are now available from Mac OS 9's Software Update control panel. You may need to be using OS 9.2.2 to upgrade.

Here is the solution that worked for me. I can't remember who posted it on the Dantz site, but he evidently went to a lot of trouble to discover the conflict. In any case, if you're using a Logitech trackball, you must go to the Logitech web site and download the most recent trackball software. As soon as you install this, the type 1 errors stop, and Retro 5.0 works flawlessly. If you aren't using a Logitech device, then there has to be another extension conflict. Please post your successes or failures so others may benefit.

Archived