NAS not seen by Retrospect 8.5

johndon

Retrospect for Windows 8.5

Windows 8.1

QNAP TS-569L

Retrospect does not see my NAS as a source or destination. Also my NAS does not show under My Network Places. The Public folder of my NAS is mounted as Network drive X:/,  all my other applications are able to access X:/ with no problem.

In Retrospect starting with configure->Backup Sets->More->Open->Look In->My Documents brings up  a message "X:/My Documents" is not available.   "X:/My Documents" is assigned as the My Documents folder and where I want to save Backup Sets.

With WIN7 SP1, Retrospect 8.5, same NAS I have not problem accessing X:/.

What can I do so Retrospect can access my NAS in WIN8?

post-4220-0-80292100-1391459752_thumb.jpg

Before you can see the NAS in Retrospect you will need to be able to see the NAS in Windows as Retrospect can only see what Windows can see. The correct notation for Windows/DOS is X:\ not X:/.

I have a QNAP TS-459 Pro+ and I have no problems access it from the two Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit machines I have. However I don't use mapped network drives and do all my accessing using \\<NAS-NAME>\<share-name> or \\<NAS-IP>\<share-name> UNC path. However I have found that the NAS does not always show up automatically in Network Places so I have a shortcut to it in Favorites. Also having Browser Master checked in the Microsoft Networking section of the NAS firmware may also help in making the NAS visible in Windows. (I don't have access to my NAS at present so can't tell you exactly where this option is located.)

Yes my NAS is visible in Windows and to all Windows applications other than Retrospect. I do understand the error message I attached to my original post was generated by Windows, I am puzzled how my NAS is available to  all other application but when it comes to Retrospect Windows can no longer find the NAS. 

Sorry for my mis-use of "/". 

Before you can see the NAS in Retrospect you will need to be able to see the NAS in Windows as Retrospect can only see what Windows can see. The correct notation for Windows/DOS is X:\ not X:/.

I have a QNAP TS-459 Pro+ and I have no problems access it from the two Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit machines I have. However I don't use mapped network drives and do all my accessing using \\<NAS-NAME>\<share-name> or \\<NAS-IP>\<share-name> UNC path. However I have found that the NAS does not always show up automatically in Network Places so I have a shortcut to it in Favorites. Also having Browser Master checked in the Microsoft Networking section of the NAS firmware may also help in making the NAS visible in Windows. (I don't have access to my NAS at present so can't tell you exactly where this option is located.)

Are your shares on the NAS password protected?

I have found to get the best reliability using network shares in Windows is to have a username and password set on Windows and the same username and password set on the NAS and disabled guest access on the NAS. (The is a limitation in Windows with respect to access to network shares that can only be fixed by a reboot of Windows if encountered.)

My experience mirrors yours so I am already setup as you suggest, lots of cold and warm boots with the same result - Windows makes my NAS available to all my applications except Retrospect. :-(

Are your shares on the NAS password protected?

I have found to get the best reliability using network shares in Windows is to have a username and password set on Windows and the same username and password set on the NAS and disabled guest access on the NAS. (The is a limitation in Windows with respect to access to network shares that can only be fixed by a reboot of Windows if encountered.)

• 7 months later...

Here is the solution I received from technical support:

When connecting to a NAS device, Retrospect will log into the NAS volume separately from the login you configured from within the Windows drive letter.

It sounds like you are using some type of volume mapping/linking from the My Documents folder to the NAS volume. Instead of trying to use the My Documents path, you must navigate through either the Microsoft network or you will need to use the direct UNC path to reach the actual NAS volume.  Try going to Configure>volumes>My Network>Advanced and under the full UNC path (not X:\).  For the UNC path you will typically use something like \\Server_IP_Address\folder_sharename.