VSS Problem?

DrMopp

Get multiple instances of:

TPCFileLoc::GetInfo: UGetInode failed, \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy24\Windows\Temp\9f60674c-cf8a-4c9d-8b6f-bd8af9054416\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.windows.s..ation.badcomponents_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.16384_none_cd3183f2deb856d2\suppression.xml, osErr 1920, error -1001

When running recycle backup to USB hard drive on Win 8.1 64-bit

Don't really know what I'm looking for but if it helps anyone vssadmin shows VolumeShadowCopy24 does not exist, only 11,19,20,22 and 25

Any help appreciatedoperations_log.utx

Run a file system check on the affected volume and see if that makes any difference.

If that makes no difference then try deleting all the Volume Shadow Copies. I have a Windows 7 machine that regularly corrupted the Volume Shadow Copies and deleting them was the only way to keep Retrospect happy.

Another though is if the affected machine is EFI based then there are known problems with Retrospect with respect VSS backup on EFI based machines.

There is an Knowledge Base article about this on the Retrospect web site but I can't give you the link to this a present as I'm currently away from my desktop machine.

You are correct. The article I was thinking about concerned ASR Writer on EFI based systems. ( http://www.retrospect.com/uk/support/kb/asr-writer )

The Retrospect error code -1001 translates to 'unknown Windows OS error' which lead me to think that it is Windows that is having problems. We need to work out what osErr 1920 translates to. The \\?\ at the start of the path would indicate the problem is with VSS.

Have you looked in the Windows Event Log to see if Windows is logging any errors at the time when Retrospect is reporting the failures? If there are errors being reported then these may help in diagnosing the problem(s).

No specific Windows errors logged at the time Retrospect is executing but the most frequent VSS errors are

Volume Shadow Copy Service information: The COM Server with CLSID {e579ab5f-1cc4-44b4-bed9-de0991ff0623} and name Coordinator cannot be started. [0x80070005, Access is denied.

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface.  hr = 0x80070005, Access is denied.. This is often caused by incorrect security settings in either the writer or requestor process

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine IMultiInterfaceEventControl::GetSubscriptions.  hr = 0x80010108, The object invoked has disconnected from its clients.

These happen several times a day but not all days.

Search on Google for 'COM Server with CLSID {e579ab5f-1cc4-44b4-bed9-de0991ff0623} and name Coordinator cannot be started 0x80070005' and see if any of the answers apply to your setup. There may not be any answers specific to Windows 8.1 but answers for 8.0 and 7 should also work. (They have for me with COM Server issues I have had.)