Number of files backed up and verified no longer match in 10.2

Before upgrading from 10.1 to 10.2, whenever I did a backup and verification, the number of files backed up and verified was the same. Today, I did my first backup with 10.2, and the following appeared in the log:

+  Normal backup using iMac HD Backup to OWC at 7/26/13
    To Backup Set OWC Backup...
    -  7/26/13 8:12:00 PM: Copying iMac HD
    7/26/13 8:20:53 PM: Snapshot stored, 213.6 MB
    7/26/13 8:22:10 PM: Execution completed successfully
    Completed: 9071 files, 1.8 GB
    Performance: 531.9 MB/minute
    Duration: 00:10:10 (00:06:37 idle/loading/preparing)

-  7/26/13 8:22:14 PM: Verifying OWC Backup
    7/26/13 8:22:42 PM: Execution completed successfully
    Completed: 9139 files, 2.1 GB
    Performance: 5,714.6 MB/minute
    Duration: 00:00:28 (00:00:05 idle/loading/preparing)

As you can see, 9071 files were backup up but 9139 files were verified. Also, 1.8 GB were backed up but 2.1 GB were verified. These numbers always matched before version 10.2. I'm using media verification.

Is anyone else seeing this behavior? Can anyone explain why this would be happening? Is it an error or a "new feature" somehow?

I also submitted this report to the Support people, but wanted to ask other users if they're seeing the same thing.

Thanks.

-------
Addendum:
Later, I did a second backup from the same source to the same backup set, and this time the number of files backed up was the same as the number verified, and the sizes were also the same. For some reason, the first backup I did with 10.2 had this weird discrepancy, while the second backup did not. I'll have to wait and see how things look for the third and subsequent backups. Still it would be nice to understand what happened!