Eject doesn´t work with optical drive

Eject doesn´t work with the Mac´s built in optical drive, when Retrospect is active. I know it´s normal behaviour that I cannot open/close the slider with the eject button on the Mac´s keyboard. But even if I go to "Storage Devices" and click on the eject button nothing happens.

It only works if I open the slider BEFORE starting Retrospect Backup Engine and Retrospect application. After that the eject button under "Storage Devices" starts working.

Also, if I leave the Retrospect Backup Engine active after quitting the Retrospect application, eject still doesn´t work, so I need to stop the engine to be able to use the Mac´s optical drive again.

my setup: Mac Pro (early 2008), Retrospect 10.1.0 (221) Trial

thanks in advance for helping

Eject doesn´t work with the Mac´s built in optical drive, when Retrospect is active. I know it´s normal behaviour that I cannot open/close the slider with the eject button on the Mac´s keyboard. But even if I go to "Storage Devices" and click on the eject button nothing happens.

The interface to optical drives has, pretty much, been unsupported in all Retrospect versions since Retro 6. The Retro 8-10 optical drivers don't "play nice" with the Apple drivers. However, I've found the operation of Eject in Storage Devices more erratic than completely broken. Sometimes it works for me, sometimes not.

Also, if I leave the Retrospect Backup Engine active after quitting the Retrospect application, eject still doesn´t work, so I need to stop the engine to be able to use the Mac´s optical drive again.

It's the Engine that actually interacts with the optical drive, not the Console, so that's why you have to stop the Engine to allow the normal OS X functions to work on the optical drive again. Occasionally, even that's not enough, you have to reboot to get the optical drive to interact properly with normal OS X programs, including the Finder.

I only run the Retrospect Engine when I'm actually doing backups. I have it set not to launch automatically at system startup, and I stop it when I've finished the backup.

One thing that does seem to be completely broken is that I have an external FireWire DVD as well as the internal DVD. If the external DVD is off when the Engine starts, the Engine doesn't see it when I turn it on. If I do a Scan All in Storage Devices after I turn on the external DVD, the Engine finds two drives, but it often won't find a DVD inside one of the drives. This seems to be particularly so when there are already Retrospect backup disks in the drives when the Scan All is done. Then Eject in Storage devices usually doesn't work, either. Workaround is to exit Console, stop Engine, restart Engine, restart Console.

It's all a bit of a mess, really. :rolleyes: