Fast Catalog Rebuild not working

Hello,

I'm needing to rebuild several large Super AIT catalogs. One with 38 members. Anyhow, I'm trying to do a "fast catalog rebuild", however, it looks like all I'm getting is the contents of the last member of the catalog. It shows that all of the preceding members as "Lost". The odd thing is that it shows the capacity of the Storage Set as 20.2 TB... which is about what the storage set should be. Is there a way to verify that "Fast Catalog Rebuild" was indeed set? After the rebuild is done on the last member, under options the "Fast Catalog Rebuild" option is set, but it seems like Retrospect will default this to be on. I think I'm following the instructions correctly, but I'm definitely not getting the entire contents of the catalog rebuilt.

I've tried this on 7 different Media Sets all with the same results. I'm hoping I do not have to go tape by tape as there are 75+ tapes and its taking 3-5 hours per tape. Any insights are greatly appreciated. Unfortunately, the machine that was used to create the backups is long gone and the backup of the catalogs is gone. Yes, dumb.

thank you,

Jonathon

For Fast Catalog Rebuild to work, that option needs to have been enabled when the Media Set was first created. The principle is that when a new media set member is first introduced, the catalog to that point is written at the beginning of the new member. When you perform the rebuild, Retrospect should first retrieve this backed-up catalog and then complete the rebuild from there.

The fact that Retrospect knows the size of the media set suggests that Fast Catalog Rebuild was indeed enabled. Does each individual member also show a capacity used and free? Have you tried unchecking the "Lost" box for the earlier media set members?

How big is the rebuilt catalog file? Have you, as part of a test Restore, tried searching for files that would be on an earlier member?

If the catalog is still incomplete, you might try backtracking through your media set members. If you can get a successful fast rebuild at, say, member 35, that would be better than having to go back to member one.