Disaster recovery, need help rebuiling retrospect rdb files

We have had the worst possible disaster with our system, we came into work one morning and all the files on our Xserve RAID had gone, we immediately sent it off to a recovery company, initially we didn't panic too much because we have two network drives that use Retrospect to backup the Live Work and Assets every night.

But we found that those 2 had also been wiped, we now suspect sabotage or some kind.

It left us with literally nothing, the RAID spent 9 days being recovered and none of the files were any use, mainly just really old files were recovered nothing recent.

To make matters even worse the network backup drives now refuse to mount, but we have taken them apart and put the drives in a Mac Pro, and we are currently running Data Rescue 3 on it with user defined settings looking for just retrospect files, and it has found some, though they are in completely unstructured form, ie no file names or dates.

Is there any way for retrospect to try and open up these recovered files and restore any of the files from inside them?

This is our last hope for getting anything back at all

Is there any way for retrospect to try and open up these recovered files and restore any of the files from inside them?

I would think if the rdb naming convention were compromised, Retrospect would not be able to crawl the "slices" of data to rebuild or access.

You could try and put the recovered files in a Disk Media Set structured folder (/Volume_Foo/Retrospect/Media_Set_Foo/1 Media_Set_Foo/) and then run a Catalog Rebuild on it. But I doubt the program would be able to do much with that other then spin its wheels.

Someone should be going to jail for this...

Thanks for the reply, I did recover a few ddb files to test, and tried to rebuild it, it did recognise the name of the catalog so it is reading something, but just said 0 files, I will let the recovery software get everything it can and try again, but like you I think without names there isn't much hope, plus it has found 100's of rdb files but the majority of them are likely to be out of date and not part of the current backup set. It's like putting together a million piece jigsaw blindfolded without knowing if all the pieces are there anyway :(