Retrospect 9 and Tape Drives

Hello -

I've recently upgraded to Retrospect 9 from Retrospect 6. I'm running it on an Intel Xserve connected to a Quantum PX502 tape library. This hardware setup worked (still does work) with Retrospect 6 but seeing some problems with Retrospect 9.

R9 can see the tape library just fine. It can even run the erase tape command successfully. However when I setup a backup script using Tape as a media set, it appears to run just fine, and it scans the source just fine, but it never writes anything to the tape. It never even asks for a new tape to be inserted. It just sits there and "runs" sometimes up to 24 hours before I stop it.

The log file doesn't show any errors communicating to the library. It only shows this:

Normal backup using Email Backup at 9/11/12 (Activity Thread 1)

To Backup Set Email 12...

- 9/11/12 6:57:25 PM: Copying email_backup on Maple

9/12/12 10:05:57 AM: Execution stopped by operator

Remaining: 31638 files, 888.4 GB

Completed: 0 files, 0 B

Performance: 0 MB/minute

Duration: 15:08:32 (15:08:31 idle/loading/preparing)

Am I missing something?

Thanks.

nate

Can Retrospect 9 also see the tape drive (or drives) associated with the library? Is Retrospect 6 up and running? Whichever one was running first (Retrospect 6 or the Retrospect 9 engine) will monopolize the tape drive, preventing the other one from seeing or accessing the drive.)

More information about your setup would be helpful, including hardware, device connection, and OS version.

Thank you. Here's some more information about my setup:

- No, Retro 6 is not running for the reason that you mentioned.

- Server is a 10.5, dual 3 GHz Intel Xeon, 9 GB RAM

- Tape Library is a Quantum PX502 connected via Fiber

R9 can see the library and the drives as expected. It can see the tapes and in it's limited way, manipulate them (ie. erase/eject them). However it won't put a tape into a drive and start writing data to it during a normal backup.

I guess we can assume that you purchased one of the server versions of Retrospect 9 and that you are running OS 10.5.8 Server. You still didn't mention the type and model of the tape drive you're using with your library.

If you load the correct tape member into the drive, can you then run a manual backup? (I'm assuming you can do this, since you are able to erase a tape.)

Have the tape drive and library, as well as your fibre channel card (you didn't say which brand) been updated with the latest firmware and drivers?