Media set first unavailable, then locked, now just... dead? (cannot rebuild)

Hi,

I'm testing a configuration here where Retrospect is backing up two machines into a disc media set located on a Drobo. This was working fine for a few days, slowing working through the backup (using a proactive script), until yesterday I looked at the control panel to find all the scripts stopped waiting for the media set, despite it apparently being not-busy, not-full and generally fine as far as I could tell. No amount of poking could persuade the scripts to progress, so I tried shutting down the Retrospect server using the control panel and starting it again.

Upon restarting the server, the media set showed up as locked - which is odd as though it does have a password set, the "save password" option is turned on. At any rate, attempting to unlock it manually got nowhere - clicking "unlock" and then entering the password just did... nothing - no error, but also no change in the state of the media set.

So, in desperation I tried removing the media set and using rebuild to re-add it. Rebuild allows me to select the media set, correctly identifies that it is encrypted and asks for the password, then prompts for a location for the catalogue file (and warns that one already exists)... and then does nothing. Clicking the "Rebuild" button causes the media set to get created in the list, but the "Select folder for media set catalogue" window doesn't go away. I can click "Rebuild" as many times as I like with no apparent effect.

Cancelling and examining the newly-created media set shows that it has the right properties (broadly, at least), but no members. Trying to manually add a member produces "File/Directory not found (-1101)", regardless of what folder I select (even a completely new folder on an unrelated drive does this).

Restarting the server doesn't seem to help, and the log shows nothing related to any of the above.

So now I'm at a bit of a loss. I could probably nuke the media set completely and start again, since there's only a couple of days' worth of data on it, but... I can't say I feel particularly comfortable leaving a problem that effectively "loses" data unsolved in a backup solution!

Any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated!