Client on Panther will not stay on.

The client's process (pitond) is managed via a shell script in /Library/StartupItems/RetroClient/RetroClient

The script checks the retroclient.state file (which stores your settings of off/on), and if appropriate it starts the pitond process.

The shell script that's installed with the 6.0.x Client points to:

"/Applications/Retrospect Client.app"

If your Client application bundle is in a different place (for whatever reason) then where your shell script points, the client won't turn on after restart.

If you moved the Client, move it backi. Or,you can view the startup script in TextEdit; make sure it's consistant with where the Client is on your drive.

Dave

I had the same problem with a client in T5.0 after the user updraded to Pather. I also forgot the client, uninstalled, and reinstalled the 5.0.540 client. This also happened after a new install on a different computer running OS 10.2x and was fixed by upgrading the client to 5.0.540

I just looked at that shell script and the path is hardwired. I moved the client to keep it in the same folder as the .rcu file. I have now just placed both in the Applications folder which makes it even messier but, the client does turn on after the reboot. I'm assuming the .rcu file is needed by the 6.0 client.

Quote:

I just looked at that shell script and the path is hardwired. I moved the client to keep it in the same folder as the .rcu file. I have now just placed both in the Applications folder which makes it even messier but, the client does turn on after the reboot.

The installer places the Retrospect Client application in the correct location, as referenced in the shell script that it also installs. This only breaks if the user moves the application, although editing the shell script is perfectly fine if a custom location is necessary.

>I'm assuming the .rcu file is needed by the 6.0 client.

No. Retrospect Client Update files are used by the Retrospect application to update clients over the network. It has nothing to do with the OS X Client software, and does not need to be present on client machines.

Dave

Archived