Do Retrospect 8/9 do *anything* fast??

Holy monkey. I wish I could get back all of the hours spent waiting on Retrospect 8 to just DO something. Anything. Anything at all. Even switch screens. Nothing happens w/ any appreciable speed or sense of purpose.

Just trying to rejoin a Mac mini w/ a failed and replaced hard drive and restore 3.5GB of user data has taken me HOURS. And I even stopped the restore when it started the super-slow-mo, non-progress-barred phase of updating permissions on each restored file-- I'll just do that myself manually. Every..thing..is..so.....sloowwwww. How I long for the seemingly hyper-responsive days of Retro 6. I'm not gathering that Retro 9 is substantially improved in this regard, but Retro 8 is just an excruciating product to work with. I'm just not sure if the Retro 8 engine is downloading the entire Internet in the background, knitting a sweater, making meatloaf, or what. But when it uses gigabytes of available memory, and completely saturates 1 core (not too much multi-threading here!), you'd think it could at least give you some sense of progress toward SOMEthing. But it must be good friends w/ Harlan Pepper, since it appears to also love its collection of beachballs.

</rant>

FT

P.S. Yes, I know this is the 9 forum and I'm talking about 8....but does it really make a difference?

A little more information about exactly what you are doing would allow those on this forum to make helpful comments. There is not enough information in your post to make any useful guesses as to what is happening. (i.e. engine (server) machine, speed, memory, media set residency, other things running on machine, network, etc)

We know that retro is not *always* so slow, or it would be entirely unusable, and there are lots of users.

Yes, I *could* provide all the specifics of my hardware, software, OS, etc. And I could describe exactly which things I do are slow. However, I'm not looking for a solution from you. I'm simply commenting that EVERYTHING on Retrospect 8 (and apparently, anecdotally, 9) is sluggish. I've got nearly a dozen servers of various configurations. It doesn't matter what it's running on....it's just slow and unresponsive. To the point of your "entirely unusable"? No, not all the time. But the program does NOTHING quickly. It's like steering a giant ship by having a goldfish swim against one side of its rudder or the other. I'm just tired of it, feel like a heel even suggesting a v9 upgrade to my clients, yet don't see any obvious replacement choice that isn't $1000s. A slightly updated, remotely controllable upgrade to v6 would've been perfect by me. Hey, v7 was never used on the Mac side....perhaps?

FT