5.1 duplicate scripts/subvolumes not seen by 6.0

Hi,

I upgraded from Express 5.1 to Retrospect 6.0 for Panther. The upgrade looks like it just installed the new version beside the old one, so nothing that was defined in 5.1 (e.g., scripts, subvolumes) is available from within 6.0 (an odd way for an upgrade to behave, if you ask me). These scripts are for *duplicating* folders to an external hard drive, so the many messages about changes in file formats should not apply to these plain mac OS copies, right? How can I get 6.0 to use the script and subvolume information that I laboriously entered into 5.1.

Thanks,

Mike

Quote:

The upgrade looks like it just installed the new version beside the old one, so nothing that was defined in 5.1 (e.g., scripts, subvolumes) is available from within 6.0 (an odd way for an upgrade to behave, if you ask me).

If you have Retrospect 5.x installed, the very first time you run 6.x you will be presented with a dialog box asking if you want to import your preferences or use new, default preferences. You must have selected the latter.

To get Retrospect to again prompt you to import your 5.x preferences, quit the program, delete the file "Retro.Config (6.0)" from the /Library/Preferences/Retrospect/ folder, and restart the program. Be prepared to re-enter your serial number.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, the remedy you suggest did not solve the problem. I do not recall ever having been asked if I wanted to import my 5.0 preferences. When i deleted Retro.Config (6.0) and restarted the program, I had to enter my name, organization, and license code, but it did not prompt me to import my 5.0 preferences. The end result is the same as before. There two preference files: Retro.Config (6.0) and Retro.Express.Config (5.0), and my original scripts and subvolume definitions are not available from within 6.0.

Please note that there was an error in my earlier post. I was running Retrospect Express 5.0.236, not version 5.1. Does it matter that I was running Express instead of a "full" version of Retrospect? I would think not, as the programs appear to function almost identically.

Thanks,

Mike

Quote:

Does it matter that I was running Express instead of a "full" version of Retrospect?

Apparently, yes.

Try renaming your Express config file to "Retro.Config (5.0)" and see what happens; I'm pretty sure it won't work (although I'm equally sure that it will at least prompt you to try). But it can't hurt.

Dave

Hey, that actually seems to work! 6.0 even autolaunched, like Express almost never did. Too bad Dantz didn't make the upgrade work propoerly for Express from the beginning, or provide information on this relatively simple fix in several obvious places. Oh well, what should I expect for $88 and 300 pages of doucmentation? Many thanks for the idea.

Mike

Archived